rx 330 cracked windshield

Today, out of the blue and without a stone hitting the windshield, a large crack from the top and down six inches has appeared in my 2004 rx-330.

Before i spend the deductible $500 on repair, are there any know defect problems with this glass?

Is there any benefit in spending more money on the official Lexus glass versus the typical glass shop glass. I have yet to obtain pricing on the difference but expect the Lexus brand product to be significantly more.

Joel in Toronto

Reply to
Joel Robinson

i don't see any advantages of Lexus glass over anyother.

But...to fix your windshield, you should open the yellow pages and search out an installer that will come to your place.... more importantly, you should ask them if they could bill the insurance.

ie....it shouldn't cost you anything depending on your insurance and I believe you won't have to worry about the dedutible either.

so ask your insurance and ask the installer for details

dave

Reply to
RningOnFumes

If the crack just formed without an impact or other external detail, would it be covered by the Lexus warranty? Might be worth a call to the dealer. Should be possible to confirm no stone impact point by examination of the glass. Wonder if it was improperly installed during assembly and has been coping with the residual stress since day one?

Reply to
Howard

So far:

- my insurance co says $500 deductible (its canada so expect stuff like this)

- well known replacement firm that I have used before, will do for $470.

- will go and see if Lexus dealer will warranty as there is absolutely no stone chip and found a reference to stress crack at this location due to mounting clip.

Reply to
Joel Robinson

We had the same issue and the dealer covered it under warranty. He looked at the crack and decided it was a stress crack.

Does your RX330 have the rain sensing feature? If so, it required a specific windshield from Lexus.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

I have examined hundreds of windshields that the owners have claimed cracked all on their own, without any impact and found evidence of an impact in every single one. Most of the time, the impact point was out of the driver's direct line of vision so they did not notice the chip in the windshield. To check for yourself, take a fine-point ball point pen and run the tip along the crack. If the pen snags somewhere, that is the impact point. If the pen does not snag, then see if the dealer will replace it under warranty.

I've heard claims that retaining clips caused stress cracks, and while theoretically possible, Toyota/Lexus' assembly method would mean that a whole run of vehicles would experience the same problem because windshields are installed by robots.

Reply to
Ray O

Its worth knowing that some insurance companies will replace windshields for 100$ (allstate does) and repair chips for nominal amounts.

Have had quotes for 200$ for windshield replacements. Not quite lexus parts, but stuff from Delco.

Reply to
Totaltully

UPDATE:

went to the lexus store and the service writer agreed it was a stress crack and they will replace no charge.

sometimes it pays to visit the dealership.

so issue is closed with complete satisfaction.

Reply to
Joel Robinson