Re: RX300 oxygen sensor

Not sure what an AF sensor is, but on my car, I have two O2 sensors in each exhaust pipe - one before the catalytic converter and one after. Although they are not the easiest things to reach, mine came out with normal wrench pressure (and that is with 195,000 mi on the car). Found it helped to warm up the exhaust system a bit (not so hot that you burn your hands, but hot enough to loosen the threads on the sensor).

Not sure if Bosch makes sensors for Lexus, but mine were $65 at the local auto parts store. Once you get at them, they are an easy fix. Also, Autozone (the car parts place) can read your computer for you and reset the error code for free. The sensors closest to the engine tend to die, while the ones further down the exhaust pipe tend to be OK.

Good luck.

Never seen an O2 fail on an RX. What you probably need is an A/F sensor, > which is similar in function to the O2s. They are located IN FRONT of the > converters, 1 for each bank. Be forewarned, many need to be replaced by > removing the exhaust manifolds, as they sieze in the manifold. Frank > > Did your dealer give you any specifics on what test they performed to > determine > > the problem? There are a lot of repair facilities that will read the > code, see > > that it says O2 sensor, and just assume that the O2 sensor needs > replacing. It > > may or may not be the O2 sensor itself, so a test procedure needs to be > done to > > be sure. > > > > E-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com if you want to talk more about it. > >
Reply to
bchargnon