O² Sensor

Does anyone know what the life expectancy is on these things? I just had to have the #1 sensor replaced at 33000 miles and they would not do it under warranty, that it was not covered. I thought that the EPA mandated that any pollution control devices had to have a reasonable life expectancy.

--

        Chuck Kampmiller
        Aloha, Oregon

In news:RYQ0c.14015$ko6.202117@attbi_s02, Chuck Kampmiller being of bellicose mind posted:

When the ECU says the sensor is failed ... it's failed. Your gasoline quality and formulation has a substantial impact on the life of this sensor. Also, RESIST RESIST RESIST all temptations to put additives in the fuel tank and from buying the cheapest no-name gasolines. One could even make a weak case that inappropriate oil change intervals contribute to premature O2 failures.

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Oh well! After checking the prices on after-market O² sensors, I guess that they weren't too hard on me. I will have to ask my independent service guy why he thought that it would be covered under warranty. I checked back on my gas buying and the only gas I have used is Chevron and 1 tank of Union 76 since I've had the car. I have no idea what the P.O. used. The only additive I use is Chevron Techron. I did notice that the after-market sensors say that they are good for 100k miles.

--

        Chuck Kampmiller
        Aloha, Oregon

In news:_MS0c.452514$na.1092808@attbi_s04, Chuck Kampmiller being of bellicose mind posted:

Let's hope your aftermarket replacements DO last that long. They often don't expecially when the word BOSCH is on the box. If you are using Chevron gasoline, it's overkill to add more of the stuff to your fuel. Good luck!

--
- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

O2 sensors before catalytic are not that expensive and are easy task for a DYI guy if you got the tools. Its a 15min. job per sensor.

You can order genuine O2 sensors from

a O2 socket kit from AutoZone for $15, and a torque ratchet handle (extend handle using a pipe or club bar if required) from AutoZone or from Sears.

that

guy

76
Reply to