Previa oxygen sensor

This is my first post on this site

My 91 Previa burns too much fuel and there's a bit of black carbon on the end of the exhaust pipe. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the oxygen sensor. My question is do I need to replace both sensors or just the one on the engine side of the catalytic converter.

Any suggestions for a source for the sensor in Canada? Is a universal 4 wire sensor OK? Prices seem to go from about $25 for a universal 4 wire to $230 for a Denso with the right plug at the local parts store.

Reply to
Fred

The sensor on the engine side of the converter controls fuel mixture. The sensor after the converter lets the ECU know whether the converter is working or not.

Just for grins, why not price the sensor at your local Toyota dealer? It may be less than the OEM one at the local parts store.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks, that gets me down to one sensor to buy The phone call to the dealer is free, but I think the 4 wire universal at $25 will be a lot less expensive. It's a Denso, which is the brand Toyota uses, I think. Any opinions on whether it will work? Fred8

Reply to
Fred

Denso is the OEM supplier for Toyota. The 4 wire universal should work, but if you're going to start snipping wires, I'd snip the connector off of the old O2 sensor so that you don't damage the wire harness on the vehicle itself. If the original sensor has only 2 wires, then you have to figure out which wires are for the heater, sensor signal, and grounds. I have a factory manual for a 93 Previa that should be OK if you get stuck.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O