Should I replace water pump when doing timing belt?

Hi all,

Just had a leak in the radiator of my 1995 GS300. Since it has been six years ago that the timing belt was changed (and 90.000 km) it makes sense to me to have my independent mechanic do both in one fell swoop. It should save on labor, since removing the radiator makes the timing belt replacement easier. Now, I was wondering whether to do the water pump at the same time or not? I kind of assume that both timing belt and water pump were replaced together the last time, but it does not show as such in my maintenance records. The last replacement was done by the Lexus dealer. So, is a water pump ready for (preventive) replacement after 90.000 km/60k miles or should it last longer? Does it make sense to replace both items at the same time, because labor is a major part of the cost of this maintenance? I know that for many cars this holds true, since basically the same parts need to be disassembled to get to both timing belt and water pump, but I don't know if this holds true for the 2JZ engine.

Any insight is appreciated.

Reply to
John Smith

Absolutely, when changing a timing belt, access to the water pump is easy ... otherwise you have to go through the whole process again to replace a leaky pump ... also change to serpentine (utility) belt.

Reply to
Jerohm

Jerohm, Thanks for the information. Since I haven't inquired into the serpentine belt yet (but have seen that it is right in front of the timing belt cover), is that a major job as well? Or is is basically, since the belt has to be taken off anyway, just reassembling with the new belt in place of the original one?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
John Smith

It is just another part that has to come off anyway ... Changing the sepentine belt on its own is MUCH less involved than replacing the timing belt in any case. They can get in pretty bad shape and still function, but for $40 or so, I wouldn't mess around.

Reply to
Jerohm

That makes total sense. Since I am down over a 1000 bucks by now anyway, that little bit doesn't matter much anymore, so better safe than sorry.

Thanks for your support!

Reply to
John Smith

It is kind of a shame about the water pump, because I really think they probably out last the timing belts, but waiting for 2 timing belt changes, would most likely being pushing things.

Reply to
Jerohm