Some ruminations on antifreeze

Yup.

I see no reason that changing the additive package couldn't have a huge effect on how the coolant behaves in a closed system. I've seen pictures of the insides of engines (GM engines for which the crap was recommended and nothing else ever used) filled with the muddy residue. Links to them have been posted on this newsgroup (rec.autos.tech, which is where I'm reading this).

Reply to
Steve

You've done a good job reviewing the AF picture. It is unfortuate that it has gotten so unbelievably complicated confused. I think the car mfgs have decided to reap some money out of this confusion by relabeling common AFs with their labels and charging double.

Again, I think most of the hysteria is urban legend and blaming AF on other problems. Put any AF in a couple million vehicles, some with serious engine and cooling system problems, and you're going to have a few that look pretty bad. The same thing occured with synthetic oil and it's occuring with AF.

Installed properly and changed regulary, use whatever you like and the chances of problems is vanishingly small. Just like oil.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

No question of that. Most of them are rather tight-lipped as to what exactly is in their "recommended" coolant.

Sorry, but with Dexcool, I have to disagree. There are known problems. They are admitted to by GM, it's primary promoter.

Cars with Dexcool have showed metal corrosion 2 years after leaving the factory.

Reply to
Jimmy

Put whatever you want in your engine you bought it. they are additives that make me use the original Honda Fluids.

Change you antifreeze every 2 years what is that, about $20 Why spent 15 to

30 K for a vehicle and quiver about $10 bucks per year for antifreeze. Go get an air cooled motorcycle instead.
Reply to
MGK

I hate to continue the argument, but this doesn't mean crap. But any AF in three million cars a year and some are going to show corrosion in two years. Be reasonable.

The question is whether there is a higher incidence of corrosion issues with Dexcool. Everything else is STRICTLY ANECDOTAL.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

There is also propylene glycol based anti freeze. PG is non-toxic.

Reply to
Bob Burns