transmission slip?

My '91 LS400's tranny seems to slip a little in 1st gear. Seems like it doesn't "grab" completely until about 1200 rpm. Under heavy throttle it seems to shift fine, with firm shifts between gears, and no "hunting". Could this be normal or signs of torque converter problems? Also, the car only gets about 16 mpg city driving, without A/C.

Reply to
MCAS NV
16 mpg for a 13-year old V8-powered large car in city driving doesn't seem that out of line.

The slipping is probably an indication that the tranny is starting to show wear. It may do this for another 50K miles or it may fail tomorrow. I'd change the fluid/filter and see if this improves things.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen