Will long-term usage of 3rd gear harm ES-330 engine or auto transmission?

Hello,

I would like to know if long-term driving with the automatic transmission selector in the "3" position is harmful to the engine or transmission of the ES-330. I ask because this is a work-around that I found eliminates the very annoying downshift hesitation problem of the ES-330's 5-speed transmission. Driving in "3" reduces the amount of downshifting required in stop-and-go traffic, and results in faster downshifts when they do occur than when driving in "D". However, engine RPMs are at 4000 at highway speed, and I'm concerned that might be damaging.

-Doug in VA

Reply to
Doug in VA

Long term, it might cause a little more wear and tear, but I don't think it is enough to worry about. It will use more gas though.

Is there a way to select 4th rather than 3rd? That's what I do on my GS300 for around-town driving. Forcing it to remain in 3rd is pretty radical once you get beyond 40 mph or so.

When you get on the freeway, I'd go ahead and select "D" and let it shift iinto 5th. I wouldn't think the extra responsiveness in 4th (or 3rd) would be worth the extra fuel, wear/tear, and racket.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen