95 gp tranny

Excuse my ignorance, but today my tranny went, but I'm not sure if completely.

It has 140k on it and the 3.1L engine.

I was going rather slow, about 20 mph, when I heard a snapping sound and then the tranny wouldn't shift and if I gassed it a little, it would slip in first. The car won't go in reverse.

Now I know the tranny went, but a few friends say it's the converter. Not knowing much about modern electronic converters, my question is: Is just the converter replaceable or is the tranny just shot? If the converter is replaceable, does anyone have any idea about how much it should cost? I know a rebuilt tranny in my area for this GP is about $2000-$2500. Aside from that, the car runs great, even getting 23-25 mpg in city driving. Highway I've gotten as much as 30 mpg.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Just me

Sounds like a bad trans. All the TC does is wet transfer torque from the engine to the trans. It has a clutch but that is not the problem. It would be best to get it in a shop. Perhaps you know of a place that will actually rebuild your old case rather than swap?

Reply to
« Paul »