Was set on a 325i until I drove an IS300

I was looking hard for an '03 325i with the sport package until I decided, for the heck of it, to drive the IS300 yesterday. Wow! Not quite as "classy" inside as the 325, but that's okay. It seems to be well made, the performance is better, and it is Japanese, so I can put my troubled German car ownership behind me (had an A4). Now to just find the right one. The local CarMax has an '03 with 4,362 miles for 28,799. Although I love the "thrill of the hunt" that goes along with beating car dealers over the head, I think that sounds like a pretty good deal, while my wife thinks I should shop around and try to find a better deal, i.e. cheaper (where just a few days ago she was preaching about how much better CarMax's "no haggle" pricing is than the "oogie" car salesman at most dealerships.)

I did some research on the web and it doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of '03s floating around out there, let alone any with fewer than 5K miles. I'm set on an IS300, should I jump on this one? It seems to me that it is basically a new car minus depreciation.

I've seen more '01 models for sale, were there any significant improvements from '01? Did the car change much from 2001 to 2002 to 2003?

Thanks in advance,

John K. '98 A4 - SOLD (halleluja)

Reply to
JohnK

Mechanically the IS is virtually unchanged from 01-03. As far as I know the main differences are that the interior was slightly nicer in

02 than in 01-- they inlcuded an armrest/center console. I think they added air bags either in the windshield pillars and/or sides of the seats. You can get a spoiler on the 02, but they're rare or non-existent on the 01 (the spoiler is fairly discreet looking, by the way).

In 03 they included a memory function for the driver's seat. They also include a storage compartment on the top of the dash where the Nav screen would otherwise go-- it's just a shelf in the 01 and 02.

there are other changes, but they're of that magnitude. In 01 (as an

02 model) Lexus began importing a manual tranny-- it's supposed to have stiffer springs, but most people don't see much difference.

I have an 02 manual and love it-- fun to drive and rock-solid reliable.

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

I bought a brand new 2002 IS300 and 'HIGHLY' recommend this vehicle to anyone. Mainly because of the incredible build quality and reliability of this car. Of all the vehicles that I have owned in my life, my IS300 has been the absolute best one by a long shot. The second best car that I have ever owned from a quality and reliability standpoint was also made by Toyota. Seems to me that Toyota is the common denominator here. I own Honda and Nissan vehicles too, but both of the vehicles that I have owned that were manufactured by Toyota have been virtually flawless. Overall, they are much, much better cars than the Hondas and Nissans have been. Honda's automatic transmissions have a tendency to shift pretty rough sometimes when compared to those manufactured by Toyota and Nissan. Some of the Hondas shift clunky even when they're fairly new.

At any rate, I just don't think that you can go wrong with a Lexus IS300. These cars are way, way underrated if you asked me. I consider them to be one of the automotive industry's best kept secrets. A true value. If Lexus had marketed these cars properly, they would be wildly popular even outside of Southern California and South Florida. They steer, handle and brake remarkably, and the cabin is tight and quiet for a car of this nature. This car also has the best safety rating in its class. The stereo system is adequate unless you're a serious headbanger. Then you may be a bit disappointed. If I have any criticisms, they are as follows:

-Space intruding gooseneck hinges for the trunk lid are a bit lame for an entry level 'luxury' car nameplate.

*Not a major drawback for me.

-Hood prop rod instead of hydraulic arms that you have to work around if you're servicing your car. Of course prop rods don't wear out, fail and cause a hood to whack you on the head or neck. Although accidents can certainly happen under a hood that is supported by a prop rod too.

*Not a major drawback for me.

-Rather small back seat for adults--especially the ones that have been SuperSizing at Mickie Ds for a few years running.

-Fuel economy could be better--but the inline 6-cylinder engine is as smooth and quiet as they come. Plenty powerful too unless you're a street racer type.

-Cupholders aren't very good.

-Requires premium unleaded fuel only.

-Insurance is a bit steep for this car.

-Steering wheel is wrapped in a material that feels and looks cheap. Can't be real leather in most IS300s I've seen.

At any rate, nearly all of the negatives that I have listed above are nit picky ones. Again, I am over and beyond satisfied with my IS300. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!!!

V.H.

Reply to
V.H.

If you don't mind the mileage (I get about 17 with NO freeway driving, all short trips with a cold engine in LA and I recently got 25 on a 3hr per from LA to San Luis Obispo and back in my '03 Sportcross), go for it.

You'll miss your Audi; I know I do. I loved that car. I had lots of great friends at Enterprise Rent-A-Car, got to take time away from work (was at Keyes Audi 1 morning a week for the last few months I owned the car), and I STILL wish I still had it. I also wish it lasted long enough to pick up my personalized license plate, HNDNBRG, that I had ordered a few weeks prior.

But alas, my '98 A4 Avant 2.8, that I purchased new, was doomed. I had suffered through the 6 instrument clusters, the 4 batteries, 2 speakers, stereo, engine computer, climate control computer, steering rack, cam shaft tensioner seals, cat-back exhaust system, coolant reservoir, coolant temperature sensor, fuel guage sending unit, tiptronic switch, cruise control switch, turn signal flasher, passenger seat bushings, 2 passenger side CV boots, and the fouled out engine after Rusnak Pasadena tore the oil cap's gasket. After $5,000 in repairs during the last year, not including the cat or exhaust system which was warranted, all of which was performed by Keyes Audi, I had only intermittant air conditioning and the check engine light was on barking for another $500+ repair. I had been in constant contact with Audi who told me to go screw myself since the car was out of warranty. I traded it in on the IS and have had no, zero, nada repairs; 3 oil changes.

What was amusing, however, was the call I received 2 months after I traded the car in. According to the sales manager at Longo Lexus, Rusnak Pasadena purchased the trade in. Since all the repairs had been done at Rusnak and Keyes Audi, they had access to the full service history and knew the car was a lemon... and still bought it. The call I received was from Audi Roadside Assistance. They had apparently sold the car as a "certified pre-owned" and the piece of shit was back under factory warranty. The poor bastard who bought it was stuck on the freeway... it had overheated.

Thank God their record keeping is as good as their build quality. I laughed about that call for days while still mourning the loss of that car. My only solice: I knew my Lexus would get me home... and WITH a working air conditioner.

Reply to
Cary Scheck

Hey, here's one that will test your memory and how old you are:

Can you remember when German cars were "reliable"?

I can, but I'm over 50.

Reply to
GRL

The IS300 is pretty nice, as you say. It has two annoyances, however. It's on the small size inside and the six is a pretty old design, does not make great power for its size, and is something of a gas hog.

It takes to turbo-charging very well and was a GREAT engine in the (sainted) Supra TT, but Toyota never saw fit to put the turbo in the IS (space issue, I suppose). Kind of a pity they did not as they would have ended up with something that would be able to hand an M3 its (the M3's) head on a platter, performance-wise, for $10,000 less.

Coulda' woulda' shoulda'.

Sure wish Toyota was more serious about building high-performance cars.

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

improvements

Reply to
GRL

As I understand it there are 3 TRD turbos available for the IS which don't affect the warranty. Stage 3 is supposed to total almost 400HP while the stage 1 should be around $4K.

Happy?

Reply to
Cary Scheck

You sure about the warranty?