Which to repair?

My colleague recently bought a 1992 Lexus ES300 which came with a

30-day warranty from the Honda dealer. She then brought it to the Lexus dealer to see if there is anything that should be fixed under this warranty. They found the following problems:

  1. Left CV Boot torn.

  1. Oil Flange Seal and Rear Main Seal leak oil.
  2. Left and Right Control Arm Bushings are torn.

The Honda dealer says they will only repair "safety issues."

In your opinion, which of the above repairs qualify as "safety issues"?

Thank you in advance for you kind replies.

Reply to
tchong

Our opinion doesn't matter. Your colleague should have had the Lexus dealer check out the car BEFORE it was purchased. It is a little late now.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

What does the Honda dealer warranty say in writing? If it calls out safety issues only then you are out of luck.

Otherwise I believe it is an implied warranty and you should be able to take them to small claims court. The question is what would an uninterested third party think when they were told 'warranted for 90 days', or when they read the written warranty.

Reply to
Sapper

I think this kind of warranty means "if the car stops running or if the car starts running poorly". The car is still running the way it was running when it was purchased, so you are grasping at straws and would be laughed out of court, and common sense.

Is there a scratch on the paint or any flaw anywhere? Why don't you get them fixed "under the warranty" as well. Maybe there is a chip in the windshield. See how ridiculous it sounds?

My 2 cents.

Reply to
RR

All of the items, if left unrepaired, could eventually become safety issues.

The torn CV boot will allow the CV joint to deteriorate. If the CV joint breaks, the car won't move, and depending on where the failure happens, could become a safety issue.

Ditto for the oil leaks.

The left and right control arm bushings are probably worn, not torn.

As another posted mentioned, the time to get this stuff checked out is before you purchase the car, not afterwards!

Reply to
Ray O

Thank you for the replies! I will print this out and pass it along to her.

Reply to
tchong