04 1.6 Meriva indicators. 'Common problem'?

Hi All,
The Mrs just came back with the Meriva and said the indicators weren't working properly / at all.
When you apply the indicator, the instrument panel repeater flashes
faster than normal but no sign of any indicator lamps outside (tested both sides). Similar with the hazard flashers, although they seemed to 'flash' at the right frequency internally, no lamps externally.
A quick Google seems to suggest it's 'just' the indicator relay (in the box in the scuttle <grrr>) so before I bark my knuckles again (I had to get the BCM out when the ECU was re-manufactured), would anyone be so kind and confirm we are (most likely) just looking at the indicator relay please?
Cheers, T i m
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:12:13 +0000, T i m wrote:

This reminds me of a problem Vauxhalls used to have with the hazard switch. The indicators were wired through it and when it failed so did the indicators. Did she use the hazards immediately before the indicators failed? The repeater will flash rapidly if the external lamps aren't flashing.
--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:02:20 +0000, rp wrote:

Like probably EVERY SINGLE car with hazards before multiplexing.
On 10/11/2014 15:08, Adrian wrote:

ah yes, happy memories of stabbing the switch repeatedly at the MoT station.

If a true switch where the circuits go through it - rather than relays or solid state - they are actually quite complex. And often not much used. A good clean restored many to health.
--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:02:20 +0000 (GMT), "rp"

Not knowingly she didn't (and didn't cancel them after putting them on accidentally).

I'm used to the typical 'one lamp blown' type fast flash but there is no sign of any indicators at all in this case and that would generally only apply to the side with the missing lamp.
One though has just come to mind though is that a good while back I fitted a towbar and electrics and I have used it to tow a few times since but the ball is of one of the 'swan-neck' detachable types and the electrics tuck up out of the way (and weather). We haven't used the car in any bad weather nor been though any floods or fords. ;-)
<checks in any case> Nope, all clean and dry. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 10/11/2014 13:12, T i m wrote:

Yes, had the same on the ex's '55 plate Corsa. Changed the relay and all was well.
--
Blow my nose to email me

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:40:35 +0000, snot

Excellent, thanks for the feedback.
OOI, can you remember if it failed in both directions as I understand the 'relay' is in fact two relays in the same casing, allowing some l/r separation (or so I have read)?
Cheers, T i m
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:00:58 +0000, T i m wrote:

Not usually. Back in pre-multiplex days, it was usually just one relay, the output of which was directed to left or right by the stalk, or both using the hazard switch to cut the stalk out.
These days, it's probably just software.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:43:00 +0000 (UTC), Adrian

Understood.

Sure, doing the logic, reading the input switches and driving the output switches but aren't there are still switches (as you say above, solid state or electro/magnetic), doing the actual work of turning the lamps on / off (centrally or remotely)?
Or are you saying that it's the software that is broken? ;-)
I have the replacement relay (£19.95 + Vat) and I hope my mate can find me a bit of space and time in his (heated) garage tomorrow for me to fit it.
Cheers, T i m
On 10/11/2014 16:00, T i m wrote:

On her flavour of Corsa (55 plate pre fancy electronics) it's quite a large box with lots of pins - it was not working on one side.
--
Blow my nose to email me

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 18:02:51 +0000, snot

Thanks for that.
I read elsewhere that is was in fact two relays in one and when I popped the top off that's exactly what I found.
I think the key between what you saw and what I did was yours was still working on one side (meaning the fuse was ok).
The long post near the middle here seems to suggest that the relay could affect both sides (at once):
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?ta754
and
http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/meriva-indicators-acting-funny.203417/
and no mention of a fuse anywhere. ;-)
I've bought a 5 pin plug and socket and will plug the towing sounder back in (rather than having it hard wired) so I can isolate it easily if the fuse blows again.
Cheers, T i m
<snip> >I've bought a 5 pin plug and socket and will plug the towing sounder

Which I have now done ... plugged it all back together and the indicators worked fine (no blown fuse).
So I hooked the trailer wiring up and checked again, still A-Ok, trailer connected 'audible repeater' also doing it's thing.
So, it's either something intermittent (remembering it went many days after using the trailer and daughter has used it behind her Corsa a few times since with no issues), or just one of those fuse_becoming_weakened_over_time ... like if when an indicator lamp fails maybe?
Anyway, thanks for the replies guys.
Cheers, T i m

So, I changed the indicator relay and the fault was exactly the same.
I then removed the 'trailer' audible warning indicator as that is connected to both indicators and ground (thinking if that had failed it could be shorting all indicator lamps to earth), no difference.
Then, not knowing what else to do I checked the fuse for the indicators ... and guess what, it was blown ...
Replaced the fuse and the indicators were fine again (doh!).
Now, I haven't re-connected the audible indicator but I will, to test if it was that that caused the fuse to blow (and because it's supposed to be there) but whilst I'm glad it is sorted, I'm frustrated I didn't check the fuse first, that there didn't seem to be loads of Google hits saying 'it was just a fuse on mine ...' as it looked like it had power as it was all working (albeit fast etc) on the inside of the car?
Anyway, I'm posting this update just in case anyone else forgets to do the basics first ... ;-(
Cheers and thanks to all who replied etc.
T i m
On 11/11/2014 14:01, T i m wrote:

Interesting. Defo the relay on the ex's Corsa, fuse was OK (one side worked fine anyway) and the replacement relay fixed it.
--
Blow my nose to email me

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 18:06:32 +0000, snot

Well, sort of. ;-)

Yes, as I have since said elsewhere, I think that was a (very) key difference. Unless there is any way the 'relay' (which is in fact two relays in one pot) could cause it to fail on both sides simultaneously, it still working on just one side rules out the fuse and points towards the relay (or 3 lamps going on the same side at once). ;-)
I was trying to link the semi recent use of the trailer with the failing of the indicators but I know the indicators were working with the trailer (because the audible indicator is pretty loud) and have been working afterwards as well. It might have just been one of those things but I guess time will tell. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 13/11/2014 22:08, T i m wrote:

Have a good look around the trailer wiring both in the car and on the trailer. Look inside the plug and socket for exposed wiring. You've probably got an intermittent short.
--
Blow my nose to email me

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 09:23:20 +0000, snot

Whilst it's not impossible, *I* have wired all that up and have a reputation for doing so neatly and without compromise.
One error, cutting one wire too short or nicking some insulation and it all comes out (or I cut it back if I can) and I start again. ;-)
The Mrs has also questioned me when doing domestic plumbing etc.
Her. And what is wrong with that section of waste pipe?
Me. It's a couple of mm too short.
Her. So, will it leak or something?
Me. I doubt it.
Her. So why are you replacing it?
Me. Because it's not right ... ;-)
Given the Meriva indicators were working after I last used the trailer and daughter has used it several times since, I think we can (now / further) rule out (solid) issues with the trailer (and she has a similarly aged Corsa that is still fine). ;-)
I've since put one of the Tyco 5 pin plugs on the trailer repeater audible indicator and if the weather holds up for a bit tomorrow, will solder a mating connector to the car loom inside the o/s rear light area. That way I can easily test / isolate / replace that module, in case the fuse blows again.
Of course, time will tell on all of it and now my eyes aren't what they were ... ;-)
Cheers, T i m