2001 Laguna Estate Headlamp replacement

Hi,

I've got a friend who has a Y reg 2001 Laguna Estate and she says the nearside headlight has water in it and has failed.

Renault have quoted her £660 for a replacement headlamp unit and bulb. It's apparently a Xenon HID type headlamp.

Can anyone verify if this is correct (i've not seen the car yet) and let me know if there is a cheaper solution to this problem.

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

drill hole in headlamp (diamond drill in a dremel), let water out & seal with silicone sealant. Or buy one from a scrappy.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That'll let it out - but it must have got IN there somehow...

My money's on the lamp having a bloody great big stonechip in it.

£600-odd sounds about right for a HID lamp with "bulb". I'd probably have expected it to be higher, actually.
Reply to
Adrian

I suppose the lamp unit also contains the levelling bits, too.

Don't know why they're so pricey, though - the bulbs are down under a tenner each on eBay these days - even a full HID conversion kit with ballasts, looms etc. can be had for around 40 quid.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

That's just a simple motor. The control's all elsewhere.

Since when did that ever stop a dealer?

Anyway, I'd expect a "normal" lamp unit to be easily a few hundred quid.

Reply to
Adrian

Hmmmm.

I've just been informed that a headlamp for a Honda VFR800 is only £125 for a genuine part.

That seems very cheap to me, but they must still be making a big profit on them.

(VFR800 headlamp units are very big and very complex in comparison to a single car unit, although they're not HID)

Reply to
SteveH

Eurocarparts list several for the Laguna including some Xenon @ around

110gbp

I had a Volvo v70 glass from them for about 30% of the dealer price

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Oh, and you can buy replacement bulbs and ignitors from ebay etc. if the bulbs got wet they'll both be likely to have died

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Blimey, even Audi don't charge that.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks for this.

Can anyone confirm whether this Laguna has Xenon HIDs as standard, whether it was a factory option or whether they are an aftermarket fitment? If so it might be better to revert back to Halogen (depending on the design of the headlamp unit).

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Well it's a bit tricky without seeing it to choose between option 2 or 3.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Yes, I realise that but I just wanted to know if anyone knew if these HID units were standard at that time?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Tony Brett gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

They were certainly available as on option on other manufacturers, so no reason why Renault wouldn't also have had them available.

Reply to
Adrian

They where an option on Lagunas

Reply to
Duncan Wood

As previously said; it depends entirely on the spec of the car, look at the inside of the glovebox lid, that will tell you the spec.

Initiale (luxury spec), Dynamique (sport model) & Expression (base spec) as I remember from back then.

I seem to remember only the Initiale had them as standard, Dynamique had them as option so did Expression. But at that time Renault would supply cars with additional features as standard (e.g. 17" wheels and satnav in the case of my Dynamique co. car at the time) to sweeten deals so there is no easy way to tell. Visit or call another local Renault parts desk with the car reg (or preferably the oval plate details from the base of the drivers door pillar), get a price from them and ask if it is the HID or Xenon unit.

Reply to
Chris Dugan