2002 ASTRA FUEL FILTER

Car is 2002 Astra Club estate 1.6i 8-valve.

If you haven't replaced the fuel filter on one of these vehicles then stop reading here.

Have purchased fuel filter from local VX garage, complete with the little plastic clipsclips.

I've got 2 problems

1) Examining the filter thats on the car, it looks as if the fuel lines have the plastic clips moulded into them - I don't want to risk breaking the clip (thus immobilising the car!), and would like the Vauxhall tool to disengage the clip.

But - the VX garage says that VX suppply the special tool to thier dealers for use in the workshop - but don't make it available for sale! I've successfully practised putting the new clips on the new filter and removing them with a small screwdriver - off the car of course, but trying this on the car itself is a different matter, and a small slip might leave me with a disabled car!

So - Anyone done this job, is there a knack to it, how do the clip fit onto the ends of the pipe - and where can I get the special tool from/or can it be made-up from e.g. a circlip remover?

2) Depressurising the system - My haynes book says "disconnect the purple relay in the relay box" - but there are 2 of the damn things! Removing one of them then starting the engine has no effect whatsoever except to leave one of the warning lights on. Removing the other the engine turns over but won't start at all, and I was expecting it to start, run for a few secs, and die! So the obvious choice would be the second relay - or would it?

Appreciate your help, thanks

Reply to
google

ive got me a snap on set but these are similiar

reg

These look good. I'm guessing that the side with the two prongs like a tuning fork go around the fuel line, and the other end goes over the open end of the clip where it goes onto the filter can - but it does not look long enough to push through the clip and open-up the two little locking pieces. Is there a bit missing, or are these simply designed to snap the clip so you have to put the new one on?

Also I'm not sure how the replacement clip fits into the end of the fuel line - does it simply bayonet into place (like a light bulb)?

Reply to
google