2003 Fiesta. Faint knocking noise when releasing clutch.

Fiesta has just started to make a quiet, dull thudding/knocking noise when releasing the clutch. Just one single knock, either when taking off, or changing up. It feels like some slack is being taken up somewhere. Doesn't seem to do it when changing down, but perhaps it's just not so noticable. Can anyone suggest anything I ought to be checking?

Reply to
Max Quad

Exhaust system or loose or faulty engine mount would be the first places to look. Then suapension, particularly wishbones and balljoints. Then driveshafts. Has any work been done recently?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Bottom lambda sensor was replaced after an MOT emissions failure, so there's a possibility the exhaust system was disturbed. How can you check the engine mounts? Just by looking, or do you have to strategically push things about and listen for any noise?

Reply to
Max Quad

you need to get forces equivalent to driving, so you need levers and the like, but an eyeball check is first. I found one on a Mondeo the other week, three bolts were missing out of the mount at the back of the box, he had recently had the clutch replaced.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Bonnet up, handbrake off, in gear, then vigorously push and pull the car backwards and forwards should show any excess engine movement due to a failed mount. It may also help to identify a broken exhaust mount.

(I'm sure I don't need to mention that the ignition should be off...!)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'm pretty sure the exhaust mounts are okay. I was under it only last weekend trying to trace a rattling noise that I've been blaming on a bent heat shield, but may actually turn out to be pinking (which I hope it isn't). It made sense to check the rubber mounts, and they're fine.

Anyway, I'll certainly try the pushing about thing.

Reply to
Max Quad

Okay, thanks. I'll see what I can find out. The thing is quite old now, and this is just one more noise to worry about. I have a faint whistling noise, a noise like pinking (some days only), and now this clunk noise. Might be time to get shut.

Reply to
Max Quad
[...]

Or, as long as it has no faults that affect safety or legality, just drive it until it dies?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That just seems sad, though. I'm quite fond of the thing, and it's reliability has just been amazing, compared to some of the things I've had in the past (Avenger, Dolomite, 2 Capris). Sierra and Mondeo have been good, though.

I know, I should learn to let go :) Missus wants to get a Volvo, but that just seems completely alien to me.

Reply to
Max Quad

10 years is a good age for a modern ford, things do start to break up after that. 17 for a toyota/honda ! Mind you my Sierra is coming up to 28 and seriously needs some work.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

You have a 28 year old Sierra? I expect it is showing some signs of rust by now.

Reply to
Max Quad

a common fiesta fault is a noisy clutch plate, the cushion springs in the middle get weak with age and you get a certain amount of unwanted free movement at the moment that drive takes up, sometimes accompanied by a squeak or a knock, it only makes a noise on pull away or hard upward changes. Ignorable indefinitely,

Reply to
Mrcheerful

the doors are the worst bit, and the lip of the boot opening, the sills I welded up years ago and they are still OK, otherwise it is alright as to rust. The stuff that needs doing is caliper rebuilds, remove the front diff and fix the oil leak, replace the power steering pump and the heater matrix. one day.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I can imagine that. Straight away it reminded me of when the rubbers in the cush drive on me old motorbike clutch need replacing.

Reply to
Max Quad

We felt really posh when we got ours, but then we were a lot younger, too. Sadly, it was still from a time when cars rusted quite quickly.

Reply to
Max Quad

That may well be all it is.

suzuki used a rubber cush drive behind the rear sprocket and they gave a similar effect. Some suzuki clutch housings had a spring mounting in, but they were not servicable (IIRC)

Reply to
Mrcheerful