MG ZS180 engine noise

Hi

4 days ago, my (2.5 V6) engine developed a knocking noise. The noise was only just audible initially, and seemed to be coming from the top of the engine.

Over the last few days it's become noticeably louder.

At first, I thought it was down to the fuel I was using. I normally use the high octane stuff, but I was running short of fuel one night and I had to fill up with lower octane Jet petrol, and the problem started soon after this. When I'd used all of that up, I refilled with high octane fuel but the problem persisted.

The car has done 37k miles and has been properly serviced. It hasn't lost a drop of oil. It hasn't been thrashed, and I've never revved it hard when the engine has been cold. It's done mainly motorway miles.

I took it to a garage and the mechanic said it was possibly a worn tappet, and that it would cost a fair bit of money to put right. While I have to defer to his superior knowledge, in over 30 years of driving, I've never had an engine suffer this type of wear with that kind of mileage. I suppose there's always a first time though.

I took the car away without having it repaired, because I wanted to get a second opinion before having the engine taken to bits.

The performance of the car hasn't been noticeably affected. Once the engine revs abouve about 3,000 RPM, I don't hear the noise. Of course, that may be because the extra noise of the engine at the higher revs drowns the knocking noise out, but I don't think so.

Is there any chance the noise could be caused by something other than tappets, such as a faulty anti knock sensor for example?

Cheers

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Visit

and do a search on "Vis valves". It could be the motors (cheapish, and may just need cleaning) or a new inlet manifold (expensive).

Reply to
Merlin

Thanks a lot

Very useful info

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Pete Read this one for starters

KSA

Thanks

The problem turned out not to be the engine after all

The power steering pump drive belt had shredded, causing it to catch - and damage - the outer casing

Cheers

Pete

Reply to
Pete