2008 3 series BMW clock reset

Hello all. Car is a 335d msport and the problem I have is that the dash clo ck (time keeper, rather than odometer) keeps poor time and frequently rever ts to zero, especially after a couple of days standing. The car's battery i s original and not in the greatest of shape (needs charging in winter), but that's mainly down to low daily average miles. The clock failure is still happening now, in summer, when the car starts in a lively fashion. The pro blem persists even after a long run or a charge.

My first thought is that the dash clock is powered by a separate small rech argeable, to avoid main battery drain when standing for long periods and th at said small rechargeable is FUBAR. This theory would fit the observed fac ts. Can anyone confirm and reveal a replacement procedure?

Cheers. Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

It is just a symptom of poor main battery, when the ecu detects knackered battery it turns off non essential circuits.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I'd be surprised, given the tiny current needed to keep a clock running. Just about the same as the self discharge rate of a battery. And extremely annoying if they did.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whatever the precise reason, there are dozens, maybe hundreds upwards of other bmw owners that experience the exact problem that the OP has, and they find that replacing the battery with the correct one cures the clock reset problem. A little look on Google will confirm this.

eg:

MrCheerful

It seems a neat trick to me.

ECU sees low battery when not running, issues a command to turn off non- essentials. All devices on the bus flagged thus respond.

Including the clock is a good way to draw attention to the problem.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan