2008 Mini One 1.4 window fault

Wife's car, driver's window closes fully but then immediately opens to approximately a 4" gap and stops.

I tried holding button in close position but it always closes then opens up the same gap.

By closing the window in quick steps, to 'almost' fully closed, is the only thing I can do to leave the car secure.

I guess it is some sort of sensor that thinks that there is an obstruction, so, forces the window back open a little?

Has anybody come across this problem and do you please have a resolution without dealer visit?

Cheers, Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

Wife's car, driver's window closes fully but then immediately opens to approximately a 4" gap and stops.

I tried holding button in close position but it always closes then opens up the same gap.

By closing the window in quick steps, to 'almost' fully closed, is the only thing I can do to leave the car secure.

I guess it is some sort of sensor that thinks that there is an obstruction, so, forces the window back open a little?

Has anybody come across this problem and do you please have a resolution without dealer visit?

Cheers, Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

Never come across this one Lenny, have you sorted it out ?

Reply to
Jacob

Not sorted yet Jacob, think I'll sleep on it an have a look in the daytime.

Never come across this one Lenny, have you sorted it out ?

Reply to
LennyK

Good idea, with the weather warming up with won't be as much of a pain. Also might be worth asking around a site dedicated to the mini, might even be a guide on repairing it.

Reply to
Jacob

"LennyK" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yep - that's been standard on electric windows for years, to prevent children guillotining themselves.

You might need to "reboot" the window control computer - there may be some official process to do this, or it might just be a case of leaving the battery off overnight to clear all the memories. Mini forum time.

Reply to
Adrian

I have had a Vectra do exactly that, the solution was to lubricate the window guides with silicone spray.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

This works for some Audis with frameless windows:

With the door shut, power down window to lowest point, let go of button then press button to lower window (even though it is, or should be, fully down) and hold for three seconds. Then, power raise window and when the window is at the top, let go of the button, then press up again and hold for three seconds.

good luck, HTH

David

Reply to
David

Thanks Adrian

Battery disconnected as I send this reply, worth a try

Lenny

"LennyK" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yep - that's been standard on electric windows for years, to prevent children guillotining themselves.

You might need to "reboot" the window control computer - there may be some official process to do this, or it might just be a case of leaving the battery off overnight to clear all the memories. Mini forum time.

Reply to
LennyK

This works for some Audis with frameless windows:

With the door shut, power down window to lowest point, let go of button then press button to lower window (even though it is, or should be, fully down) and hold for three seconds. Then, power raise window and when the window is at the top, let go of the button, then press up again and hold for three seconds.

good luck, HTH

Thanks David

Tried as you suggested but couldn't get window to top

Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

I have had a Vectra do exactly that, the solution was to lubricate the window guides with silicone spray.

Thanks Mr Cheerful

I agree with your suggestion. The window behaves as if it's meeting an obstruction just before it reaches the top of its travel. Could be sticking. The window could also be slightly misaligned caused by trying to open the window during the recent severe freezing weather? I'll take closer look this weekend.

Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

Lenny, the following is from a freely available on line source that claims to be part of the BMW Mini TIS.

It states that there is no 'anti-trapping mechanism', I find that a bit odd, personally. _______________________________________________________________________

BMW TIS - 67 62 ... - Notes on initializing power window unit (front) Affected models: BMW M' R50, MINI ONE (W10) COUPE BMW M' R50, MINI ONE (W17) COUPE BMW M' R50, COOPER (W10) COUPE BMW M' R52, COOPER S (W11) CONVER BMW M' R52, MINI ONE (W10) CONVER BMW M' R52, COOPER (W10) CONVER BMW M' R53, COOPER S (W11) COUPE 67 62 ...

Notes on initializing power window unit (front)

Note: Initialization for a MINI merely involves normalization , i.e. the mechanical end stop of the power window unit is recorded and stored. Learning the characteristic curve is not required due to the lack of an anti-trapping mechanism. In the position

Note: An initialization must be performed: · in the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch function or no complete closing of the door glass after closing of the door · after disconnection of the battery negative lead · after replacement of the flat motor/power window unit · after work is carried out on the power window mechanism

Warning! No anti-trapping mechanism!

Note: Performing initialization: · The reference point for initialization is the mechanical stop with the door closed and the window in its uppermost position · To initialize, raise the window glass and keep the switch depressed in the Lift position for approx. 5\~seconds and then release

· Checking initialization:

- Open door, window glass move down slightly

- Close door, window glass moves into "Closed" position

Sorry I cant be of more help.

David

Reply to
David

[...]

Thanks for your help David

This procedure worked on the wife's older '53 model with no problem. The handbook for the current model definitely has information regarding 'Trap Protection', how to close the windows without it and advises to take key with you to prevent children closing windows unsupervised.

Strange?!

[...]

Hi David

The car is a R56 series, maybe they changed the trap protection for these?

Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

Sorry Lenny,

The site I used is obviously out of date as it doesn't list the R56 series.

Best of luck

David

Reply to
David

Just to let you know, the car is booked into the dealer to rectify a known software issue with the window control system.

Thanks for replies Lenny

Wife's car, driver's window closes fully but then immediately opens to approximately a 4" gap and stops.

I tried holding button in close position but it always closes then opens up the same gap.

By closing the window in quick steps, to 'almost' fully closed, is the only thing I can do to leave the car secure.

I guess it is some sort of sensor that thinks that there is an obstruction, so, forces the window back open a little?

Has anybody come across this problem and do you please have a resolution without dealer visit?

Cheers, Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

Just picked car up from dealer. Window system re-programmed, under warranty, and all is now normal.

Just to let you know, the car is booked into the dealer to rectify a known software issue with the window control system.

Thanks for replies Lenny

Wife's car, driver's window closes fully but then immediately opens to approximately a 4" gap and stops.

I tried holding button in close position but it always closes then opens up the same gap.

By closing the window in quick steps, to 'almost' fully closed, is the only thing I can do to leave the car secure.

I guess it is some sort of sensor that thinks that there is an obstruction, so, forces the window back open a little?

Has anybody come across this problem and do you please have a resolution without dealer visit?

Cheers, Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

Glad it is sorted for you now.

David

Reply to
David

Ditto, bloody computers controlling windows pffft!

Reply to
Pete

Well, at least it isn't bad as Windows controlling computers.

Reply to
David Taylor