3 in 1 penetrating oil

My 100 ml 39p tin of 3 in 1 penetrating oil is nearing its end . We've been together for a long time but all good things must come to an end.

I was wondering just how long we'd been together so I tried to price up a new tin but failed. Is 3in1 penetrating oil no more?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Is this not the same thing?

It looks similar to

but is labeled slightly differently.

Reply to
ARW

Oddly, they call it 3-In-One .

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

Nope, that's their ordinary multipurpose oil, not their penetrating oil.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ah, that's a help. I see that they call in penetrant oil now and it seems it's only available as a spray, not a dripper.

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Was it a spray?

Georg von Krapp

Whatever happened to PlusGas?

Reply to
brass monkey

No, but it looks like it will have to be (if I stick with 3-in-One). The dripper cans don't seem to be available anymore.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Still available in cans and sprays on-line I see. (Amazon have it). Rather more than 39p though. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Do you mean this

This looks like a dripper, and although the can text says 3 in one the logo is definitely 3 in 1

Reply to
news

Whatever happened to Oily Bird?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Dunno how safe this is (so I'm not sure how serious this suggestion is), but if you really, really need to drip it, how about holding the can upside down, spraying all the propellant out, then puncturing it. I expect sprays waste a lot more than drippers.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

s.eternal-september.org...

They sell WD40 in 5 litre cans now in screwfix with a hand spray. Much cheaper WTG.

Reply to
harry

Again, that's the general purpose oil, not the penetrant oil which comes in a different coloured can. Sheesh, I feel like I'm talking to callow yoofs here. Surely it's not *that* long since everyone knew what a can of

3-in-One penetrating oil looked like? ;-)

Anyway, it's all to no matter now as I've ordered a 250ml can of Plusgas which is supposed to be a better product anyway. It's probably taken me 20 years to use 100ml so 250ml should take me to 107. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In message , harry writes

My tin still has some in, so I'm gloating. It's a black colour unlike the normal 3-in-One

3inOne seem to be owned by WD40 now and the drippers are still listed in the USA

Bill

That is the WD40 water displacer - not the WD40 penetrant which might just be an alternative to the 3-in-One penetrant.

Reply to
polygonum

So what makes it penetrating then? I thought all that sort of oil was the same these days.

The market for this sort of thing seems to have mainly gone to wd 40 these days, though there is one called ldr something or other I understand. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is it the one that came with a tilting "beak" on the can? For some odd reason a small tobacconist/sweet shop was selling of a job lot of it a few decades ago ... I always wondered whether they had it due to someone mistaking it for tins of lighter fluid at the cash'n'carry ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The 3-in-One stuff is much runnier and I think loaded with graphite. It's certainly more volatile. Not like a normal lubricating oil at all.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Try plus gas instead. I find it very effective. It does not have the black graphite in that I associated with 3 in 1 penetrating fluid but works well.

Reply to
Bob Minchin