4 seater pick up - opinions

Right then, we wanted a new Multipla but Fiat dealers are frankly putting me off buying from them so I am looking at other alternatives and thinking about a pick up with 2 rows of seats (crew cab?).

We really just need something that will carry 3 people, a dog and a fair bit of gear. Preferably it will drive more like a car than a 4x4 (had an Isuzu Trooper, hated it), return a reasonable MPG, be mechanically reliable and manual (which seems to rule out a Hilux Surf)

I was only after a new car because it was going to be a Fiat so if I go down this other route I am not too bothered about age.

Any input appreciated.

Reply to
R D S

R D S ("R D S" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Almost any "full size" estate car, surely?

And you're seriously considering a crewcab 4x4 pickup?

Reply to
Adrian

Try a Ford ranger

Reply to
Mrcheerful

And watch the fuel gauge fall at motorway speeds!

If you want something that handles like a car, look at estate cars.

Reply to
moray

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate R D S, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

If you hated the Trooper, you'll hate every pick up crewcab there is.

As others have said get a largish estate. Mondeo Mk3 Estates are huge inside and the diseasel ones are mega-cheap to run (and don't have the rear axle bush issues the saloons / hatches can have).

If I didn't tow trailers or go off road, I'd have one instead of the Range Rover.

Reply to
Pete M

Face it, at the moment this

would be a suitable replacement for the Range Rover :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Well an Astra was MUCH too small, Multipla with rear seats out is OK.

Just thought i'd ask, i've read that 2 litre ish diesels will give almost

40mpg.
Reply to
R D S

At a constant 50mph.& glacial acceleration, 1970s NVH levels & handling that makes one fondly remember the Morris Marina.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Astra certainly isn't "full size". Think mondeo, passat, c5, 406, v70, etc.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I've had a guy lose one at what seemed like a reasonable speed in front of me. No diesel etc on the road, it just went. I was driving a Polo and catching him through an island, and the back end just started coming round. It shook him up a bit as he demoslished the road sign sideways, and came to rest facing me. I was very glad I'd eased off a bit- something didn't feel right.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

R D S ("R D S" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So look at Mondeo-size.

Reply to
Adrian

Oooh, ya bastard.

I've been promised it'll be back on the road in a couple of weeks. As long as its working by the middle of April I'm happy.

Reply to
Pete M

You really aren't going to like a pick up if you didn't get on with a 4x4. I'd say estate car or any MPV...

Reply to
Doki