a2 dodgy turbo?

My dad thinks the turbo on his A2 1.4 diesel is gone. It's only got

40k on it so seems a little unlikely unless someone's been doing bad things to it? Anyway, he takes it to some guy (this is all very 2nd hand) who does some sort of diagnostic and pronounces 'it's either the switch, which will cost you 100 quid, or the turbo, which will be 800'. Err, switch? I don't know much but that's a new one on me? And what do you knowledgeable chaps think of those figures?

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

Blow off valve failed?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have a 2003 Ford Galaxy with the VW (130bhp) 1.9 PD TDi which blew its Turbo @ 39,000 miles covered under warranty but they replaced the turbo, short engine (#4 piston melted) & a complete exhaust system due to the contents of the engine oil being blown through it

I didn't find out the cause of the fault as the Ford techs weren't too sure

Seems it may be a common failure like the Dual Mass Flywheels which im currently fighting to have replaced as the car is just over 3yrs old

Reply to
¦ Jason ¦

So, why does he think the "turbo is gone" ??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Okay, have more details now. The syptoms appear to be..general normal running most of the time but at speed (65 or so) there can suddenly be a lack of power..won't accelerate, can barely keep to that speed, drop a cog and won't pull past 50 in 4th.. Don't know if it recovers soon after but I drove it up to 40 tonight and didn't have any problems. Apparently there was a 'clunk' of some kind from up front just before this happened for the first time.

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

Could be a failed turbo (shaft snapped - leaves turbo restricting engine if it jams in one place) But more likely to be something simple like a split hose / recirc valve allowing boost leak. Is it accompanied by any smoke when it goes wrong? Easy to check, pop off the intake hose and feel for play in the turbo intake side,if it scrapes on the housing or rattles about more than half a millimeter its possibly that but would require more investigation. What switch are we thinking?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Have yet more info. Apparently the loss of power only happens at speed (65+) and when the car's properly warmed up..as in 20 minutes of motorway driving. No smoke.

Chandy

Reply to
Chandy

ITs not a split turbo actuator hose is it (hard to spot) - allowing over-boost which is then causing fuel cut (could be soft or hard depending on manufacturers preference) and/or slamming the timing back so you dont blow the engine. Would expect that at any time, not just warm, but if the ECU allows more boost when warm the hose that is 'switched in' could be the cause.

Hmm i must admit its got me flummoxed.

Coyoteboy