1984 300zx turbo...Nothing works! help please!

Hi, I was planning to buy my Buddy's 84 300zx turbo He is in the military and the car has been sitting for a good 2 years after I put in a battery the car fired right up! however almost nothing electrical works I first noticed the headlights come on but don't pop up the climate controls dont work nor do the blinkers or wipers. worst of all it has the digital dash which doesnt work either The windows do roll down and up but thats about all I could get to work All fuses are fine What should I look for here guys? any and all help is greatly appreciated! Chris

Reply to
Chris

What do all of these items have in common? They're electric, OK, they have both a hot wire and a ground wire. Each item has a switch on the hot wire. I just think it unlikely that all of these on/off switches , or all of the motors failed at once. The one thing that could fail and effect all these items is a ground wire. It's most likely a plug or connection that is bad. So I would be looking for a bad ground wire. It could be the main one off the battery, or on the engine block, or perhaps the fuse block has a separate ground lead.

A quick test would be to pull the fuse to the wipers to see if you have power to one of the sockets, or better yet, pull the plug off the wiper motor and see if one of the leads are hot, (since you say the fuses are good). If the lead is hot, (with the switch on) then it has to be a bad ground.

If there is no hot at the fuse block, it could possibly be a fused link on the main lead into the fuse block . The reason I don't like this angle is because some of the options worked. They got their power OK.

Also besides having a fuse block down by your feet. There are also relay blocks under the hood. It will be a black box on the fender wall. Open the cover and you will find a few relays. They should all be marked as to what there function is. You might want to check there as well.

I just picked up an '87 300 Z non turbo that sat in a garage for 3 years. The climate control and one of the dash lights were out. But just by driving the car they came back to life on there own. Everything else works fine.

Randy

Reply to
Randy
<What should I look for here guys?

A new car

Reply to
Mr. Handy

My feeling is you have to manually turn each one of the electric motors in the car, they just might be stuck.

Reply to
Rookie