Aircon soaking the carpets - 1998 Fiesta Ghia

Hi all,

I had the aircon decontaminated by a ford dealer last week (at 30 quid it seemed good value and it doesn't smell anymore!) But yesterday I drove about 100 miles with the aircon swtiched on, recirculated air off and the heat dial just one notch off of the coldest setting. It was pretty hot and humid outside. The drive was all motorway, about 70-80mph most of the way. I turned the aircon off about a mile before getting home, and left the blower fan on, to let it dry out properly.

When we got home I noticed that the carpets in the passenger and driver footwell were absolutely soaking. It is clearly condensation and not coolant as the coolant level is OK and it doesn't feel like coolant.

The question is: Is this a common problem with aircon fiestas of this vintage or has the ford dealer forgotten to refit some sort of drip tray that diverts condensation out of the car?

TIA,

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Possibly the crap from the evaporator that was flushed off during the decontamination session has blocked the drain pipe which channels the evapourate water to outside the car has blocked.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Sounds plausible - is the drain pipe accessible easily?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Just read about your Ford aircon decontamin mishap. Would the aircon system in the Renault Clio [topic posted nearby] have a similar smelly waste-removal facility?

Reply to
Jim Gregory

Usually in the middle of the car just under the bulkhead. Access is easiest with the car on a hoist / ramps. There will be rubber pipe or bellows affair where the water is meant to run from.

Mine was almost running on saturday - 18inch dia puddle after being stood for only 5mins!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Minor comment - Wife's Ford Ka (probably some similarity) - found the drain pipe had come loose from the drain hole. Forget how we found it - but its somewhere under the carpet near the gear stick.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

There's usually a drain. Maybe the drain hose has come away from the heater box.

JOhn

Reply to
John

I'm pleased to report that the Ford dealer (Hartwells, Kidlington, Oxford) found that the heater box and drain tube were clogged with debris. They cleaned it all out free of charge and were rather apologetic. All fixed free of charge.

A few hours of fan heater in the car last night seems to have dried the carpets too.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett