Allowing 3rd party remote access to pc (not OT!)

I have mixed feelings about this. At one time most makers had workshop manuals on sale to anyone. I bought a factory manual for my SD1 from the local dealer not long after I bought the car - and it cost about 30 quid. And of course a paper manual produced in low volumes has a very high production cost. CDs cost pennies.

I enquired about buying a manual for my E39 after I bought that too - and was told there was no such thing. So when pirate copies of the TIS appeared I had no qualms about getting one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From a civil point of view, BMW won't be able to prove any loss.

I actually agree with you, it's just that when a sanctimonious individual is party to an illegal act, it's a bit rich for him to say all criminals shouldn't have the right to vote, and naturally others have jumped on the bandwagon.

I also have a vehicle where the only way to get an appalling manual is to download it or buy a CD of eBay. I would be happy to pay for a manual if one was available, even a Haynes one!!

Reply to
Fredxx

I always buy a Haynes manual when I change my car - but the Mk Vl Golf only came out last year and it usually takes 2-3 years after a vehicle's launch for Haynes to produce a manual.

I have e-mailed them and they say they currently have no plans for a Mk Vl manual. It was the same when I bought my facelifted Mk 2 Rover 75 - it was over two years before I could get a Haynes manual.

A lot of people slag off Haynes - but I invariably find them much easier to follow, with much more guidance for DIYers than official service manuals.

I had no great need for the service manual disks I have just bought because my car is under warranty until March 2013, and my finance package includes two years free servicing. I just like to know as much about my cars as I can, however.

I have found the VW handbook to be the most confusing and useless handbook of any car I have ever bought. There is no listing of fuses, for example - nor even any details of replacement light bulbs.

Reply to
Ret.

That's my point: I don't *think* it does. Not 100% though.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

"Ret." gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Lovely, an' all. But that still doesn't make your hooky copy of licenced software any less illegal.

Reply to
Adrian

Who says that it's hooky?

Reply to
Ret.

Virtually everyone in the trade knows that these disks are not available to Joe Public. I'm sure you will have no trouble claiming ignorance of this.

Reply to
Fredxx

They are being sold on Ebay - not PirateBay. So far as I can tell, this particular seller has been selling these disks for some time. I'm sure that Ebay would have shut down the seller if VW/Audi group had complained to them that the seller was trading in illegal copyrighted material. Why has that not happened?

It is obvious that most of the stuff available on PirateBay is pirated. It is not at all obvious that stuff sold on Ebay is pirated.

Reply to
Ret.