Alternator / Starter motor problem

Hi, A garage has changed the alternator on a friends car (Renault 19 non turbo diesel). After fitting it, the car started fine, but only managed about 100 yards down the road before producing lots of smoke. The garage says it's a problem with the starter motor, and nothing to do with the the recon alternator or the fitting of it. I haven't seen the car, but part of the loom appears to be damaged, and so the garage has quoted for replacing the wiring and starter motor. The alternator wasn't correctly fitted as the supressor wire wasn't connected up. Could the garage have bodged the whole thing up, or is it just bad luck? Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon

Maybe & maybe, it's tricky to see how you'd stuff the starter whilst changing the alternator though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It's an interesting one. Hunting around Google I've found that on old American Fords new alternators are supplied with the wires as the old ones often burn when a new alternator is fitted. I think it's just bad luck. Jon

Reply to
Jon