Ford Escort 1989 1.3 - Three Problems

The problems are mounting up and I need to get them sorted. Any help much appreciated.

  1. Brake problem. When I turn the engine off a hissing noise is heard from the brake servo, lasting about 3 seconds. It is not coming from the pipe. Must be a servo problem - but do I need a whole new servo or just a seal kit (if available)? Brakes work fine, pedal sinks when engine is started, but I am worried hissing noise will get worse and brakes will fail altogether.

  1. Electrical problem. Something to do with an earth or bad contact. Alternator light permanently on, faintly. (Battery seems to be charging fine). Brake lights don't work, but when I put foot on brake pedal, alternator light illuminates to full brightness. Also when I put handbrake on, handbrake light lights up, and alternator light also illuminates to full brightness. Dashboard looking like a Christmas tree at the moment. I am hoping someone else has seen this and knows which connection to check.

  2. Transmission problem. Strange "WuWuWuWuWu" noise issuing from transmission, gets worse as I turn corners. Not traditional "Click Click Click" noise associated with worn CV joint. Noise seems to be in time with wheel revolution and doesn't seem to be connected with gearbox - happens in neutral, clutch in/out, and irrespective of engine speed.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Luke

Reply to
RancidPants

Wheel bearing?

Reply to
Ben Organ

  1. You need a new or good servo. seal kits are probably not obtainable and a bastard to fit.
  2. It sounds as though you have a faulty fuse box

  1. Almost certainly a wheel bearing, can also be caused by dodgy wheel trims rubbing on the tyre (but less likely)

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Although just check the main earth strap to the engine as well. You might be lucky & it's just corroded a bit at the ends.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Check the rubber seal but I suspect it is a leaking servo that needs replacing. Just be careful if the engine cuts out while the car is moving there will be no servo assisted brakes and you will need to apply very hard pressure on the brake pedal to stop.

Reply to
Mark

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

1) Brake Servo. I am going to get a brake servo from a scrapyard and change them over. Of course, the new one could be just as bad, but I'm going to take the chance. I don't think it is a difficult job anyway.

2) Electrical problem. Good news - it wasn't the fusebox. Turned out to be a shorting track in the rear light cluster, due to corrosion. This had blown the brake light fuse (Sorry, I didn't spot this earlier. What a prat) giving rise to the very strange symptoms I described earlier. Clean up and new fuses and all is well again.

3) Transmission noise. I hadn't thought of the wheelbearings so I am going to try those. I am glad nobody has mentioned driveshafts because that was what I was fearing most. I think wheelbearings are only about £12 each, and I did the rear ones a couple of years ago which weren't too difficult (at least the second one wasn't!).

Thanks again for the hints

Luke

Reply to
RancidPants