any truth to this

using mineral oil in the car improves mpg??

dunno

If you wish it to be so and drive smoothly enough to make it so, then yes.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

:-)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

I used to work with someone who had a readily available supply of mineral insulating oil, and their diesel ran fine on it...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

No-one claimed it wouldnt run on it :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

thin oil usually will show a mpg improvement, look at fords e oil, it even says so on the can.

Also note that the above site is by an official redneck from a trailer park with a pick up truck, so the improvement might even be caused by ufo's.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Agreed. But adding about 3% to the crankcase oil for a 30% improvement in fuel economy? Without very creative driving, I think not.

As I understand it, even the industry standard ACEA B4 for improved economy engine oils only claims something in the order of 1.3% improvement.

He's added some to the fuel as well, but no upper cylinder lubricant that I'm aware of makes a measurable improvement to economy.

John

Reply to
John Henderson