Re: any truth to this

read this in a fourm

> >" Got in an accident now the other insurance company wants my computer >...or as they say..black box. WTF? They said that when the airbag goes off >it stores information in the ECU like if I was wearing my seatbelt and how >fast I was going. Is this true? What are my rights? I have/had a 98 GT with >an autologic chip-if that makes any difference."

Very true. Newer computers in passenger vehicles now act like 'black boxes' and record a huge amount of ongoing, real-time information that will assist the carmaker or law enforcement in some circumstances where this type of information is vital to a civil or criminal case.

It started out because people were claiming their airbags went off for no reason. Carmakers got tired of being sued, and began recording information to help defend them in court. Suddenly, those lawsuits went away when the truth was brought forward.

One case I've heard of involved a guy who claimed he was doing 40 mph and had a blowout, causing him to swerve and hit a pedestrian, and that it wasn't his fault. The 'black box' was examined, and it was discovered that he was actually traveling 109 mph. when the incident occured.

I'm amazed at how far law enforcement, the courts and carmakers have to go to elicit the truth from so-called adults, but that's the way it is.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams

Note: Due to SPAM problems, I can only accept mail from those known to me. See my website for details.

Reply to
JD Adams

Yep, there was a guy in Florida just a short while ago, who killed two people that were backing out of their driveway.

Of course, he felt it was completely their fault for backing out of their driveway in front of him. His Firebird's computer, however, showed that he was doing 117 MPH (in a 25 MPH zone ?) at the time his airbags went off. Based on that, this guy has been convicted, and is serving a VERY LONG prison time.

GM has been storing such info for many years now. Ford and other car manufacturers have just started to store such info more recently.

BTW, GM has a program to start to distribute this coming fall a device that will allow "common" police officers to read out this info right at the scene of the accident.

94stang wrote:

Reply to
Walt

snip

snip

Or, at the scene of a roadside stop for speeding!

Reply to
Ron Hammon

Sorry, I should have checked the details before posting.

It was a P> Yep, there was a guy in Florida just a short while ago, who killed two

Reply to
Walt

Reply to
Walt

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:01:17 -0400, "94stang" wrote something wonderfully witty:

As with most things hard to believe there is a level of truth to it. For quite awhile devices like these have been installed in commercial vehicles such as Tractor Trailers. It was just a matter of time before they bled over into the civilian sector. The upside in privately owned cars is the limited amount of memory contained in the devices. If after a crash the car is rendered inoperative the data can be retrieved. If the incident is minor it will be over written rather quickly once the car is driven away.

In illegal activities you have limited to no rights. You can refuse to allow the insurance company access to the vehicle and they can refuse to pay you.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Yeah they exist...we've been taking them out for years...it's pretty cheap to have it removed if you so desire...

- Nick

Reply to
Nick D.

There it is. That would be the first effect of Fords airbag computer spying on you. Very grey.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

My 16 yo cousin was in a wreck where a woman ran a red light. Yes, he WAS speeding and I think may have admited it to the cop but he had the green light. After it happened he went over to the womans car to ask if she was ok and offer use of a cell phone. After being indignant at his offer she told the cop he came over and told her it was his fault. The cop, being a FULL 3 year veteran of the force told the 16 yo that he could tell he was lying because being a FULL 3 year veteran he knew these things. I wish I had been there, it's a good thing for me, lying bitch and the stuck-up cop that I wasn't... I've come to the decision that most people are scum and there are very very few who would not lie or take advantage of someone if possible.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

F150s have had it for a while.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Interesting. There must be something wrong with these Grand Am drivers lately. A guy here in Maryland allegedly went through fencing and trees until he finally launched his car over 130 feet and landed on the metro rails before coming to a stop. The car was a rental and they estimated his speed at over 100 MPH. Here is the link to this story.

Fao, Sean

That's why I say this is a very grey area. If a 16 yo pulls out in front of me with State Farm insurance and they get that info, I can see them denieing the claim because I was doing 42.7 MPH in a 40 MPH zone, with no reguard to weather or driving ability.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

The real "upside" to all this is that the device can help prove your side of the story. Like a DMA test can prove you are NOT the father. Technology can work for you or against you.. it all depends on how smart or stupid you are/act.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

"94stang" wrote in news:WDBNa.24334$9s2.24281 @fe05.atl2.webusenet.com:

If it's not true yet, it probably will be soon.

I'd microwave it for a few minutes before sending it to them. That'll erase anything stored therein quite handily. :)

However, it's a slippery slope any way you look at it. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if in 5-10 years it is standard operating procedure for the police to either confiscate or read your computer on the spot if you are in an accident.

Of course, if we all ACTED NOW to prevent this sort of legislation, something might be done. But since most people will just shrug and say, "It doesn't affect me so I don't care" that ain't gonna happen.

JD

Reply to
JD Fensty

Very true, JD!

Of course, if we all acted NOW to be more responsible drivers, no such legislation would be proposed or needed, would it?

But, as you say, "most people will just shrug and say, 'It doesn't affect me so I don't care' that ain't gonna happen," so it ain't gonna happen, will it?

Good post.

Reply to
MC

MC wrote in news:20030708220603.459 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.com:

Not sure if that's sarcasm or not, but...

My point is, you don't have to want to be a drunk driver to be against sobriety checkpoints.

You don't have to want to be a drug dealer to be against property confiscation.

And you don't have to want to be a bad driver to be against a law that says "Law Enforcement" gets to put a monitoring device in your car to be checked whenever they feel like it.

Reply to
JD Fensty