Astra losing a lot of water ?? How do I check if gasket blown ??

My wifes astra (M reg 8v petrol) is losing a lot of water.

Garage told her that their was no leaks, as they had pressure tested it. Just keep topping the water up ??

I have to keep topping up half gallon of water every 25 miles.

No water in the oil, as no foam in oil. No water leaks dripping on the floor.

How do I check if gasket blown ?? as the engine is lumpy at tickover, until it gets hot.

TIA

Reply to
gray

I had a P registered Honda Accord 2.2l which lost coolant with no visible evidence. Eventually, after quite a bit of research, I added Bars Leaks to the radiator, and the problem was cured. (Do your own research before adding anything as you may clobber the heater matrix.)

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

use a block tester liquid (snap-on) to sample the gas above the water, this is the only reliable check for early signs of a blown gasket.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

That is a lot of water. Mebbe it's going straight out the exhaust. Check the colour of the spark plugs, if one is brand spanking new looking with no trace of carbon, thats where the water is going, via fractured head or blown gasket, but with that amount of refill, I'd expect to see a pool of water under the car !

Reply to
Stuart Gray

If it's running on 3 cylinders and is losing that much water then it's highly unlikely to be anything other than the head/head gasket.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Thus spake Stuart Gray unto the assembled multitudes:

I had a G-reg Astra 1.4 which started losing coolant at an alarming rate, and it turned out to be the water pump that was shagged and was leaking coolant. I changed the water pump and it cured the problem.

Reply to
Andy Clews