astra tickover

My daughter has a M reg astra 1.6 with the ??tec engine, not Zetec, that's ford, I can't remember what vauxhall call theirs.

Anyway, she's coming down at the weekend and she tells me that her tickover is too high, between 1500-2000 rpm, and it's causing problems with the gearchange as well. Someone has told her there's a sensor that needs cleaning out. Is this a diy job? If so, what does this sensor look like, and where is it found? Please.

She still has the "Dad can fix anything" syndrome and I want to help if I can.

Bingo

Reply to
bingo

That kind of tickover speed is what you'd expect with the engine 'on choke', so perhaps the first sensor to test is the coolant temperature sensor. Disconnect this with the engine running (it'll be near the engine connection for the radiator top hose) and see if it changes anything. If not then test it with a multimeter (falling resistance IIRC as the engine warms up) or just buy another - they're about a fiver.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Also ensure the engine is reaching operating temp. Vx's have an almost guarrenteed feature of knackered thermostats which open too soon.

Its never going to return to proper idle if it doesnt warm up.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

If its an Ecotec I will put money on it needing the Idle Control Valve needing cleaning/replacing and the breather mod if it's not already there.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding