Automatic Gearboxes

Well it's not exactly a rare occurrence and all makers will test their boxes to see what happens when it does. The answer is the pawl breaks off and drops into the sump.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Who says it's going to drop into the sump when doing a reasonable speed?

Reply to
moray

On every box I've seen you would have to pass through Neutral and Reverse before reaching Park. What vehicle was this?

Reply to
<me

Because you can't force it into mesh at a 'reasonable speed'. Anymore than you can force a crash gearbox into gear without using the clutch - the teeth simply won't mesh until the speed is low enough. They will skate across the tops of one another.

I can't claim to know every auto box but have had enough of them apart to guess that they're all pretty similar in this respect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did the full throttle third gear to reverse shift in a CVT based Ford Escort. It just screamed a bit and stood on it's nose.

Worked fine for the rest of the 300 mile or so trip.

Reply to
PC Paul

Yup, dumping it into reverse when the brakes failed blew a hose of the cooler, but the brake pawls such a naff bit of metal om nost gearboxes that even if it didn't end up in the sump it wouldn't do much. (you can try dumpin an auto into park & it does make a lot of noise & you never trust it afterwards, but that's all)

Reply to
Duncan Wood