Brake pads

What's considered normal for a set of pads? I keep seeing bods writing into newspaper columns with moans along the lines of "My car has only done 30000 miles and the disks and pads had to be changed by the dealer at a cost of £whatever. I am appalled at the lack of durability." etc.

I've always expected to do pads and tyres around every 10K...

Reply to
Doki

I've seen them last anything from a few k, to 50k+

Some vehicles are worse than others for pad wear.

Reply to
moray

That's coz you drive like a madman ;)

Reply to
Abo

Heh. I've been really really surprised by the 406. Mainly because it doesn't inspire serious chucking about but also because I've been doing almost entirely motorway miles. I've done about 5k in it now and I can't see that the tyres are wearing at all. I expected I'd be changing them pretty sharpish...

Reply to
Doki

Set I'm on now have done around 18000 and there have been times when I've reached around 30000+ - but there again, I always use the genuine parts and tend not drive like an idiot or rest my foot on the brake pedal.

Reply to
Tanner-'op

Aye same here, although I do find newer cars seems to wear pads less. They lasted 18k in the 206, and the rears a little longer, maybe 20k.

405 had crap brakes, weren't even ventilated discs up front - so it was discs and pads every year at its service. But the pattern discs, that may have been part of the cause, were only £19 a pair, so it wasn't so bad.

R27 needed new tyres when I bought it at 11k and I got the dealer to chuck in OE spec Contisport 3s as part of the deal - which wasn't bad, as I get tyres at trade from a big place and they'd still be £100 a piece then a £10 back hander for the fitter and supplier ;-) So someone else, girl on the registration doc, had killed them in 11k.

Tyres - if I get 10k that's a result. 6k was annoying.

Reply to
DanB

EFA.

;-)

You should try Yokos - my record is just over 3k from a set of fronts.

Reply to
SteveH

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The 405 didn't _need_ vented discs, because it was so damn light - less than 1100kg. Put two large blokes in, and it's up to the same as a 406 - or your R27, empty. Put five large blokes into a 405, and it's about the same weight as a 407, empty...

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah, the 406 is pretty wallowy, I was suprised. Back in the days when he had company cars, my dad had a c.1992 Pug 405 and it seemed really stiff.

Reply to
Abo

Hmm wallowy is the wrong word on reflection; it's not so much wallowy, more that it's just regular saloon car handling now, the 405 did seem sharper.

Reply to
Abo

How long is this bit of string I'm holding?! The life of brake pads is dependant on how well someone can drive, I've had two sets of pads on my car, that's in over 100,000 miles of driving, most of which has been urban roads and not motorways...

Learn to drive!

Reply to
Jerry

But brake pads only wear out due to use, unless you have a seized calliper....

Reply to
Jerry

Yeah but you rear end people to stop b'cos you have that big ole metal bumper bar :)

I'd love to had mine last 100k getting around 45k last set of rears on pagid pads, with brembo max vetilated discs on a mk4 which is a big heavy horse cart.

Reply to
Sarah

In the old days when people put DDT on their cornflakes in the morning and brake pads had asbestos in them, I think it was much easier to make a car's discs last the life of the car. Discs were very expensive. Cars were lighter and there was less traffic and probably fewer reasons to slow down/stop (roundabouts/traffic lights etc.). Brakes were also pretty crap back in the day, so it was better not to over use them anyway.

Old giffers like to complain about all sorts of things. (c:

I used to manage 10k for tyres and pads up till I was about 20.

I've done 25k on the tyres and pads on the Mazda. The longest I've ever made either last on a car I've owned. Front pads look due soon and I replaced the Tyres recently.

Eee, I don't drive like I did when I were a lad.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I would have to disagree.

When cars first had discs, they often didn't have servos. This meant that pad material had to be *very* soft.

My Hillman Super Minx struggled to get to 6k on a set of pads, and the Avenger I had later wasn't much better...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

What planet are you thinking of?! Vehicles are lighter *now* than they were in the past (for the same class of vehicle), there are less reasons to use the brakes *now* that ever before due to roads being realigned, less 'STOP' junctions (such as cross-roads), one can drive navigate a roundabout without really having to apply the brakes - in comparison to having to stop at cross-roads or 'T' junctions etc.

Reply to
Jerry

Ford fiesta 3dr MK5 1165kg min kerb weight Ford Fiesta 3dr MK1 785 kg

Reply to
Duncan Wood

How about checking the kerb weight of something like a 105E Ford, BMC

11/1300 or BMC A40, assuming you know what those car were...
Reply to
Jerry

That's not the only factor

Reply to