205 - corroded brake pipes

I'm renewing the rear brake pipes (only a small section) on my Peugeot 205.

After copious sprays of Plusgas yesterday and this morning, I managed to loosen the union to the flexible pipe and the nut on the backplate for the near-side, but the off-side is a problem.

I've loosened the union to the flexible pipe, but the nut on the backplate has been rounded off by someone before me. There's no chance of getting any grip on it at all, even with a proper 11mm brake spanner. I was thinking of filing all five sides down, until the 10mm brake spanner fits, but I can't even find a flat side to start on.

The bleed nipple on the off-side snapped off, despite plenty of Plusgas yesterday.

Any suggestions ? Should I just fit the near side pipe and get a garage to do the off side ?

Maybe I should see if I can undo the wheel cylinder nuts, then pull the wheel cylinder and brake pipe through the backplate hole. I could then go to a local garage, maybe, and ask if they can undo it (or maybe my local motor factor could do it, as I'd be buying the new pipes from them.

Reply to
Paul S

Pulling it through is one way as you could snip the pipe off and work on it in a vice. The worst that could happen is that you would need a new slave cylinder. Alternatively you could try heating it up to loosen it.

Regards G

Reply to
G Cadman

Sorry to say i think you will be better of fitting new wheel cyl and replacing all the pipes that have had it,good luck from chris.Addlestone Surrey,

Reply to
Chris

Thanks for your advice.

for all your advice on my Peugeot 205 in the last few days.

The car passed its MOT retest this afternoon.

One ot two gripes with the Haynes manual, to help anyone else contemplating work on the 205;

  1. Handbrake adjustment

The latest manual suggests placing the handbrake lever on the seventh notch before turning the adjustment locknut, whilst my older manual for

1983 to 1989 cars suggests the fifth notch. I'd suggest using the latter (fifth notch) as the former leaves the handbrake too high up when adjusted.
  1. Rear brake shoes removal (sec 5 in manual)

Para 6 There's a strut that holds the shoes together at the top. The manual says "release the strut from the top of the shoes (Bendix type only)" but omits to point out that the spring holding it in, needs to be removed first.

Happy New Year to all !

Reply to
Paul S

How unusual that Haynes should omit any information ;-)

Reply to
Chimp