Broken down help required

I'm away from home, my car has broken down about 15 minutes from where I am staying. Basically drove my car this morning no problem. Came to my Mums place, started fine, got out at the shops to pick up some food. Left the car about 30 minutes, got in and tried starting it the dashboard all lights up and but nothing happens, no attempt to crank over, no clicking no nothing when the key is turned. I had my portable diagnostics scanner with me and it is giving fault code:

17952 - Angle Sensor 1 for Throttle Actuator (G187): Signal too Large

17580 - Throttle Angle Sender 2 - signal too low

Sadly my AA membership ran out by 2 days!! and I am out of budget to take another subscription.

Anyone have any ideas what may be up or what has caused this ?

I've had 5 years of not one breakdown with this car so thats pretty good going.

I'd be beyond grateful of any ideas on what I can do to get it going again

to add my multi meter readings for the battery are 12.60v

I'm wondering if the cold has zapped my battery and maybe it needs a charge or something ? ... its been under a lot of strain recently with all the snow, heating, heated screens etc.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

Bump start? Starter motor solenoid stuck?

Reply to
Paul

What car?

Does it have drive by wire?

I'd start by checking the throttle for movement and the plugs on the TPS / idle switch / actuator if it's drive by wire.

Yet another nail in USENETs coffin but you may be better off on an owners fourm.

Reply to
Peter Hill

It has an electronic throttle body.

As its electric there is no movement on the throttle body, at least I think there is none. The power lead for the TB is clean and also cleaned it with elctrical cleaner and let it dry and still nothing.

Sorry Peter forgot to write the car its a MK4 golf 2001 petrol AZD engine.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

Keep all solvents away from the throttle body you may create further problems.

Reply to
Rob

[snip]

The computer generation...

If the car won't turn over you have a fault with the starter motor or battery etc. If the dash lights are normal when you attempt a start, it's likely the relay which feeds the starter motor or the starter motor solenoid has failed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or the computer decides there's a fault and won't let you start...

To me it sounds like there are two transducers to read the position of the throttle, and they're giving conflicting readings.

Reply to
David Taylor

David Taylor brought next idea :

Or the single transducer at initial start is seeing an invalid position reading.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Or the self check on switch on calibrates the throttle by moving it fully open to hit a limit switch and then fully shut on 2nd limit switch but didn't get the right signal(s) back.

Something is stuck or not connected. Limit switch(s), throttle or actuator.

Reply to
Peter Hill

But, AFAIK, none of these inhibit the starter on that generation golf. Hot wiring the starter to see if it's just a stuck solenoid would seem like a good starting point.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

On a ten year old Golf?

It sounds like a starter motor or the switching circuit fault to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How about a partial battery failure? I've had a battery fail suddenly due to a crack between the plates. Such a battery might still be capable of showing 12V but not be able to supply enough current to do anything useful.

I would have thought that a jump start would be the logical first thing to try. Computer might be generating incorrect codes due to low voltage.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

or even an immobiliser fault, the lights would still come on, but the starter would be inop.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

is the immobiliser warning light flashing, on continuously, or goes out after three seconds?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Guilty as charged a bit of a techy geek... but not being the most mechanically minded person I used what I had.

have now found the fault after about 30 min in day light it was a corroded cable on the starter, which I managed to get a replacement for and fix in about 15 minutes. Never been so happy to be honest to hear it running. I guess the codes generated are whats known as ghost codes, although sometime the computer diagnostics are very helpful in fault finding and clearing codes, even resetting oil services, theres definitely a place for them in the tool box. Considering the cost of using a garage for such services, it has saved me a fortune in the past and paid for itself. But in the end I had to get my hands dirty the old fashioned way.

Pfft picked its time to good ga ga.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

It could have been an immobiliser fault.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

The golfy is quite sophisticated for a 10 year old car .. I have rear electric windows an all.

You were bang on the money Dave .. dodgy starter connection. In past cars the only fault I had was it would try to start but not turn. But this was a little odd, all the lights come on and you try to turn it and absolutely nothing, not attempt at starting no clicking ... bit odd, well for me as I've never encounted it.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

Yep thinking on the same lines. When the key is turned on does the dash lights show a key symbol which indicates the key immobiliser problem. (could be like a flat battery in the key.

Reply to
Rob
[...]

OP reported the fault fixed yesterday.