12v auto jump start tool ... any good ?

Matthew.Ridges

That will be absolutely useless.

Reply to
SteveH

Any ideas of a one man effort of starting a flat battery ... without jumping it.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

On the original Mini, you could jack up one front wheel, plonk it in top gear and spin the wheel by hand to start it...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I agree that device would be no use for jump starting (no way it can supply enough current through the lighter socket), but if your battery is just flat without being completely knackered, leaving it plugged in for a few hours (I wouldn't trust the "15 minutes" claim either) might do the trick.

Reply to
Tony Houghton
[...]

Even easier if you had the optional starting handle fitted!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

I presume you mean without jump-starting it from another vehicle?

What do you want to spend?

"Proper" jump start kit; from 50UKP, but a bit bulky to keep in the boot, and requires charging from the mains.

Second battery installed in the vehicle, and topped up with a split- charge unit: 100+UKP, and maybe not practical.

AA/RAC membership; around 100UKP for full(ish) cover.

Spend the money on maintenance instead, including battery condition checks; ?UKP, but reduces non-starts from other causes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Taking the hint and replacing the battery the first time it starts to show signs of being a bit weak... £60ish

Reply to
Adrian

what was that like? the wheel would be in the way, not to mention the radiator.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

what about an optional explosive starter device, like they have on some piston engine aircraft engines or an air operated starter.

My money is on using a decent quality battery (the largest practical) which is replaced when tests show it is weak.

The jump start packs that are affordable are of little value. I modified my one with a fiesta battery, it can now start anything normal, petrol or diesel.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

From a website:

"The starting-handle kit just referred to is made by Oselli Engineering, Industrial Estate, Stanton Harcourt Road, Eynsham, Oxon. It is ingeniously arranged so that the handle can be inserted when the left front wheel is turned to full lock. It is necessary to cut an opening in the wheel valance and to bolt two guide plates in place to position the inner end of the handle. A bracket, bolted to the front suspension, steadies the outer end of the shaft. The only other job to be done is to unscrew the crank shaft-pulley securing bolt and substitute the starting- handle dog bolt, which is also provided in the kit."

I've seen one demonstrated years ago; it worked really well.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I will have to find one for my kit car, it would be a lovely talking point for the old gits !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Disagree. I've started plenty of cars that have been properly (not even oil pressure light) flat with a £20 from Ally Pally Classic Car Show one. Then, when that died after about six years of use, with being left kicking about in the boot of the car, a £20 Wickes one.

Reply to
Adrian

Well done. Can we at least wish Happy Christmas to all the good folk at GCHQ who are now monitoring this thread?

BTW: That 12v auto-start tool is real snake oil. How do the vendors have a

99.8% positive rating?
Reply to
GB

Duncan Wood

He must sell more of these

he does jump start kits.

Reply to
R D S

Hi again Dave :)

Would that work on a mk4 golf ?

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

if you are strong and brave, but not if it is an auto.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

lol no chance for me then I'm neither :)

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

I saw someone get a cut hand when twist starting a mini, it would have to be the most obscure emergency before I would contemplate trying it. I did once bump start a zephyr and drive it home with two 6v torch batteries to power the coil, lets see you do that on a modern car.

Reply to
Mrcheerful