bump start with totally flat battery?

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Now why did that take me five lines to say?

Reply to
Guy King

'Cause you don't type with one finger?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Ah. Wonder what I used to do before I could touch-type?

Reply to
Guy King

About 6 months ago I towed a scrap Montego to the breakers. As it had been stood for a few years the battery was totally flat (think it was knackered anyway). Anyway, once we got up to about 40mph in 3rd gear the engine was spinning fast enough to excite the alternator and the electrics burst into life (i.e. dashboard, hazard lights, etc.) - though as the battery was cream crackered they all died again as soon as I dipped the clutch or the speed fell...

So in short, yes it is possible at risk of damage to the alternator and provided you can spin the engine over at a few thousand rpm!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis