Halfords battery chargers

Are these any good? Hopefully it will only be used on the odd occasion....

Battery Charger - up to 1200ccitemcode: 370791-0

Description Most suited for petrol engine cars and vans up to 1200cc Fast and normal charge rates For all 12V lead acid automotive batteries Not suitable for Gel Electrolyte Batteries, Electric Vehicles, Golf Carts or 6v batteries=20 =20 price: =A314.99 (inc. VAT)=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

========== Halfords Battery Charger - up to 1200cc itemcode: 370791-0

Description Most suited for petrol engine cars and vans up to 1200cc Fast and normal charge rates For all 12V lead acid automotive batteries Not suitable for Gel Electrolyte Batteries, Electric Vehicles, Golf Carts or 6v batteries

price: £14.99 (inc. VAT)

====== Thanks Bruce

Well, they're OK, although a jump start pack is more versatile in that you can take it to a non-starter which is out of reach of the mains. Although they are more expensive, natch.

It always amuses me when they say it's for up to 1200cc. A 12V battery is a

12V battery. It will work with any of them, I've used them on a lorry, although obviously it takes longer.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

can take it to a non-starter which is out of reach of the mains. <

Aah...So does the Halfords cheapo charger have to permanently connected to mains (essentially being a 240AC to 12V DC transformer with no internal battery) ? However, this limitation is no major problem as I would probably only use it for cold morning starts from home. Any cheaper versions on the market? I thought someone mentioned Aldi in a separate post re. battery chargers.

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Just seen this on the Lidl site.

=A319.99 from Mon 31st Oct. Seems a more durable and versatile unit than the Halfords.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

Then it needs to be left on charge overnight.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This battery charger WILL NOT be of any help for an emergency start unless it has been A, connected to the car battery & B, to the mains supply for 4/5+ hours.

It's not an emergency starter, it's just a cleanish power supply to top up the battery, as you correctly surmise above.

( If used as an emergency power supply it will either, blow an fuse or, melt.....)

The emergency power packs mentioned elsewhere are more useful in your situation but even they have to be charged from somewhere, usually the

240 volt mains supply.

DC

Reply to
David C

Ok, I see. Then its not really suitable for the "frosty morning, won't start" situation. Unless it's a weekend and I can afford to leave it connected up for 5 hours. Maybe I should consider the type shown on the Lidl site...

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

£19.99 from Mon 31st Oct. Seems a more durable and versatile unit than the Halfords.

Maybe a bit OTT for only occasional use. Bearing in mind that you would have to make sure it was regularly topped up, even if unused. Providing you have a mains source near your car overnight, I think you'd be better off with a simple trickle charger, like the Halfords one. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Or a new battery and a set of alternator brushes instead :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

========== Halfords Battery Charger - up to 1200cc itemcode: 370791-0

Description Most suited for petrol engine cars and vans up to 1200cc Fast and normal charge rates For all 12V lead acid automotive batteries Not suitable for Gel Electrolyte Batteries, Electric Vehicles, Golf Carts or 6v batteries

price: £14.99 (inc. VAT)

Dont get me wrnog, a decent, proper (not one of these s*1t 'automatic') chargers is an essential part of owning a car for those very occasional left the lights on or one time weak battery, wont start episodes,

BUT

it is NOT NOT NOT a bandaid for a weak battery or knackered alternator.

If you are that au fait with your car, you should instantly be able to hear / feel the 'engine isnt spinning over as fast as it did yesterday' signs of a weak battery and take remedial action straight away, not wait til the next morning thinking, 'oh i'll just pop the charger on it for 10mins and it'll be okay'.

Change it / fix problem right away.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

bizarre alternator johnson.

Reply to
Feltch

The message from "Tim.." contains these words:

I've used mine perhaps three times in the last four years.

Various neighbours have had far more use out of it than I have - but I wouldn't be without it.

Same with the towpole. I have yet to tow one of my own vehicles with it, but I've earned loads of brownie points with it - which helps with the plan of never paying for babysitting. We ain't paid yet....

Reply to
Guy King

==========

Apologies for diving in on the back of your post.

..As it happens..I was considering buying a battery charger..but then found that I already had one. My excuse is that the car that I recently acquired is after a 12 year gap since the previous motor. So this charger has never been used and has been under a pile of crap for

12/13 years. All things being equal...should it still be ok?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

I use mine quite often. Mostly for cars that have been stood unused for several weeks - it happens when you have a yard full.

And I'm aware my Rover battery is on the edge, but I expect to be moving it on very soon, and I wouldn't recoup the cost of a heavy-duty diesel battery.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Yes - should be fine unless it went rusty. Chuck out the 12 years of spider occupation inside by application of a vacuum cleaner and all should be well.

Reply to
Chris Street

Tell me what the difference is between what you call a shit automatic battery charger and a proper battery charger. Use past/current sales on ebay as examples if you like. Wide range on there from ones costing a few pounds to 80 pounds or more.

a 30a fixed charge rate? Thought high charge rates like that candamage battery? Not a good idea? 180a instant jump start seems good.

That ones looks a good bit of kit
and cheerful?

choice but 9.99 postage?
job but says only upto 1200cc?
industrious bit of kit?
bit of kit 700amps! 30kg postage though
and cheerful?
and cheerful?

cheap one
like this one RAC endorsed, instant start facility, a good choice Ithink?Poor price though, can buy them for same price in Halfordswithout the 9.99 postage.
good one from gunsons? Cheaper to buy in shop Surely a jumpstart battery pack gadget and you wouldnt need a battery charger? Once the engine is started give car a good run and will be charged?

Reply to
Ted Rogers

An automatic charger 99% of the time will not recharge a totally flat (i.e. lights left on) battery. They rely on the battery having at least 10v+ to initiate charging, otherwise it'll sit there as long as you like doing nothing.

I've tried 3 automatic units, ranging from a 40quid Sealey upto a 120quid Snap-on with several 'laboratory' batteries and non would start to charge them.

I am constantly recharging 'new' to 'about-knackered' conventional car type to Leisure deep discharge types which we use on electric fences and battery powered vehicles, which when are they are completely flat have a very high resistance and a low voltage.

Needless to say all the automatics went back and I now have a conventional manually controlled job. (previous Linwood Electronics one went pop after about 15yrs)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I'm still using a 4amp Selmar 12v/6v charger I bought in 1978!

Reply to
Peter Hill

I've yet to have a battery that would recharge not be recharged by an optimate.

Reply to
Duncanwood

'automatic')

Do you want to start that again?!