Bumper repair

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if they have had a bumper respray which has lasted as good as the factory paintwork? Would love to know if it is possible! You will see on another post I have had 4 repairs to a bumper now and it is chipping off very easily.

Many thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Dave" wrote

Then only way to do this is to rub the bumper down and re-spray it yourself.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Sounds like they used steel primer - it needs a special type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I believe it's also down to using the right thinners. AFAIK the type used for spraying flexible plastic panels, is one that results in the paint being more flexible after it has dried, than paint thinned with std thinners . One that doesn't crack under light flexing. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Apart from obvious preparation the area should be sprayed in an appropriate adhesion promotion primer to ensure adhesion for subsequent coats. which in turn should be provided with a key between these coats.

If the panel your intending to paint is flexible then a flexing agent should be added to the primer, basecoat, lacquer and or colour.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Take it to a proper bodyshop.

Reply to
Conor

Sorry, I should've been clearer in the original post. That's the problem.. it's had 4 at a bodyshop and i'm ready to ask the insurance company to replace my 8 month old RX-8 as their repairer (Quality Repair Centre - yes that's really their name!) seem to know how to p*ss me off a treat. It's been in 6 weeks on and off! I'm claiming compensation for loss of use but now the paint is chipping off (again), they've scratched the headlamps and the bonnet rattles. It was a 5mph bump into a car in front. If I gave you the full story you'd be astonished.. they scraped my alloys, dented my door and asked me to fit some grill mesh bits to complete the repair.. sent them in the post to me! panel gaps, runs, colour match.. i've had the lot!

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hi Steve, sorry I should've said that i've had a repair done that is bad but I see that you mention that the primer, I suppose it makes sense for the adhesion to be the cause, at least I know from your post that it is possible to do a factory-quality job and that they have cocked up somewhere, probably in the priming. I was told that it is aqua based paint which is baked on.. apparently.

Cheer,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hmmm I struggle painting walls so think i'll give that a miss :-)

Reply to
Dave

They have said that it is aqua based that needs to be baked. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

aqua based paints are dried using warm air passing over the surface , baking ruins the finish as it boils the water within the paint

Reply to
Steve Robinson

Dave (no.spam@me) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Most new cars are painted in water-based paint - far more environmentally friendly, with less evaporating thinners and solvents.

"aqua"...

Reply to
Adrian

Most repair shops use it too now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[snip]

Water based paint is a different animal, nonetheless the paint shop should still be able to deal with it as they've had training from the paint manufactuers or paint suppliers.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

REquires different heating setup in the spray booth.

Reply to
Conor

I'd be demanding another repairer and mentioning the ombudsman.

Reply to
Doki

Just been offered £250 compo (I worked out £650 loss of use and asked for that) they said I could dispute it with the ombudsman but they deem that to be fair. Plus I can go to another repairer but i'm sick of repairs to be honest.. would like them to replace the car but unless the damage is over

60% of the cars value they won't have it. And i'm told it is nowhere near that value.. yet.. It is seriously annoying me!!!
Reply to
Dave

I'd take it to a decent repairer and get a quote to do the job properly. They should be able to make an invisible lasting repair. Then insist the insurance company pays for it - if not small claims court time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thats what I was told I would get the first time. The "decent repairer" thing is the problem. The only ones I know local (including local mazda dealer) have had complaints from people I know so I went with this one by eliminating all other authorised repairers, but I think i'm going to have to bite the bullet and try another of their authorised repairers.. or see if I can really push the car replacement. I'm thinking I might need some trading standards advice.. I just wanna drive the damn thing! Wish me luck!

Good one!

Cheers,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Forget the "authorised repairers". Take it somewhere _good_.

Reply to
David Taylor