Buying a SORN car

I'm going to view a car tonight that has 6 months MOT left, but the road tax has expired and the car is registered SORN. The seller bought the car as a temporary runabout while he was doing up a LandRover, but hasn't had to use it for a few months. If I decide to buy this car, what do myself and the seller need to do to get the car taxed in my name? Also, anything I need to look out for -- I will obviously ask the seller to start it up and to have a test drive.

Thanks Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

All you need to do is to tax it as you normally would and that'll remove the SORN. Might need to do it at local DVLA office with it being a change of keeper.

Reply to
Conor

You need to have proof of insurance and MOT with you (Policy or cover note) and the green "new keepers" part from the log book filled in then simply go to a post office and tax it. I believe most Post Offices can check these electronically anyway these days, however the last one I did at a PO could not.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I think you can still do it at a PO with the new keepers slip as long as you have the other docs or the insurance./MOT can be checked on relevant databases. I would say in this case to take the docs to the PO as the Insurance database (IME) can be slow to update if you've just got insurance within the last couple of days.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

"bruce snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

You need to tax it. No more, no less. You can do it at the PO using the "New keeper" slip, insurance, MOT.

If you don't, you need to re-SORN it.

Reply to
Adrian

AFAIK there is no difference in the paperwork between buying a SORNed car than one that isn't SORNed. Once it's registered in your name, and insured, it can be taxed online, by telephoning the DVLA or via a PO.

Best advice if you are doubtful of your own abilities, is to go with someone who 'knows' cars. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Without a renewal notice you'll need to fill in a V10 form (download available from the dvla web). The green new keepers slip is valid for 2 months to get tax. Need insurance in your own name. Or if the previous keeper is still insured bung him/her the money and ask if they can tax it.

Reply to
Redwood

Agree who's responsible if you're pulled for (test-)driving a SORNed car on the road? It could happen ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Thanks for the replies. But it's all academic now. I was the first to ring in about the car, at 1 PM. And I arranged a visit for 5:30 PM. But someone (probably a trader) bought it at about 4 PM. Unfortunately, I have to work until 5 PM. Any small Jap car with good MPG seems to be gone in 60 seconds nowadays! I thought with the credit crunch that cars would stay on the market for a while... Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

It is always the driver. There are no extenuating circumstances, or get out clauses.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I suspect the keeper would get a bollocking too, having made the SORN declaration. This is why anyone _selling_ a SORNed car needs to make sure they get the paperwork right. Except that, AIUI, means not releasing the car until the DVLA have the change of ownership form, which is impractical.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

There is no change of ownership form to send. There is a change of keeper form, but that is entirely legally distinct to the owner.

A car on hire purchase is legally owned by the finance company until the last payment and any other charges are paid, but the V5 is in the name of the person who is usually the driver.

Reply to
Elder

Not small jap cars they don't break and sip petrol, mainly large european and american 4x4s, followed by large japanese 4x4s and european saloons in that order are the ones not selling.

It means as long as you factor in the running costs, you can make a bargain on the purchase.

Reply to
Elder

Thanks for putting me right on that one. Does it make any difference to what I was saying? Nope.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Dead right, as I have just done it, and you do not have to fill in any forms at the PO.

Reply to
floosy