A quick tax/mot question?

I'm selling (well giving away) a car for spares or repairs. A good runner but the tax expired end of August (Now declared SORN) and the MOT has just ran out today. My neighbour has just told me he is interested but wants to know if I could tax the car for him so he can leave it on the road a few days while he carries out any work needed for the MOT. Can I still use the just expired MOT to tax a car from the beginning of Sep as the MOT would have been valid when the tax commenced. I suspect it may not be possible but thought I'd ask?

Reply to
John

No, you can't.

No MOT = No tax.

Reply to
SteveH

I would doubt it very much. IIRC the wording of the tax form is for a 'current' MOT certificate.

Can't you wait a couple of weeks and get it done for October?

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

He was undecided so I've now scrapped the thing. Local breakers gave me £25 and seeing that I was going to give it away that's not a bad result. Had fun with the speed bumps on its final journey to the breakers. Was tempted to hold it on max revs and see if the engine blew but I didn't have the heart :)

Reply to
John

If you were so keen to have this car legal to park on the road for a few days, why did you drive it to the scrappy with no tax & MOT?

Reply to
DougP

And if it was not in an MOT'able condition, uninsured as well.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Ok so I broke the law for 5 mins while I drove a 1 day expired MOT vehicle with no tax to the scrappy. Doesn't qualify me in the terrorist bracket, shirley.

Reply to
John

there is an exemption for 'taking to a place to be broken up or scrapped or exported'

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

mrcheerful. ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, there isn't.

Reply to
Adrian

show me where it says you can't

Reply to
dojj

dojj ( snipped-for-privacy@dojj1.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Show me where it says you can.

Reply to
Adrian

Tell us where it says you can?

You can drive a vehicle *without tax* to and from a garage of repair or a test station - period.

If it is an MOT failure, and has defects, you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle, and may also be uninsured. As such you should make alternative arrangements to transport the vehicle, or make it roadworthy

*before* driving it on a public road.
Reply to
Andy Hewitt

So you'd be happy hitting someone with an uninsured car?

Reply to
Conor

Let me see..

There's the part that says a vehicle must be in roadworthy condition Then there's the other which says it must have tax, mot (over 3 yrs old) and insurance Then there's the other part which IS an exemption but only applicable to driving to/from a prebooked MOT.

Over to you...

Reply to
Conor

I think you'll find that having no MOT does not invalidate the insurance.

Reply to
John

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Mmmm. I'd not be happy hitting someone *WITH* an insured car.

Reply to
Adrian

Which only refers to the tax, it's still not legal to drive an unroadworthy car.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Correct, having an unroadworthy car does though, so if it is a potential failure, then it may not be insured.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Exactly, which is why I would never knowingly drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the road. But I believe in law an insurance must still pay out to any 3rd party claim regardless and then (if deemed that the vehicle is in an unroadworthy condition) it becomes a civil matter if they wish to sue to recover their losses.

Reply to
John

A car with no MOT isn't necessarily unroadworthy.

Reply to
SimonJ