Tax Discs going up for 4x4s...

Good

Reply to
BORG

Why? It uses the argument of 'gas guzzling' - so, on that basis should all drivers that drive big petrol engined cars, or that thrash their cars and use loads of petrol, pay more road tax as well, even though they pay more petrol tax?

Or is the size that bothers you? So, should people driving 7 series beemers, or Audi A8s pay more road tax for having big cars?

Reply to
DanTXD

It doesn't apply to '4x4s'. That's sugar coating it for the morons that haven't quite grasped that many SUVs are no bigger, footprint-wise, than medium-sized cars and can often seat more - a good example is my sister's old Discovery. We got a stupid "anti-SUV" left on it when we went to the cinema, rambling on about 17mpg economy and so forth.

The Disco diesel does 30mpg pretty much - at least, theirs does - and how many people had gone to the Cinema? 7. So we'd have had to take two cars, otherwise. Or a Taxi, which I think uses a very similar engine.

It'll hit my RX8. That's about as far from a 4x4 as you'll get, and the only reason it's so bad is the stupid Euro IV specifications which absolutely hammer any attempt to run a lean-burn cycle.

ANY increased tax is a bad tax.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Erm..... it's a generic increase in the top rate of VED so will affect all 'gas guzzlers'.

Not that this should get in the way of a headline for the Daily Tory or anything.

Reply to
SteveH

Didn't actually read it - assumed it would just be the usual bollocks :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Poor bastards in Fiat Panda 4x4s are in for a hammering.

Reply to
Conor

The link shows a Suzuki Vitara, an old one.

The one I used to drive gave 35mpg. Horrible gas guzzler, that ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I tend to average 30mpg from the 206...

Reply to
DanTXD

and presumably any older car above 1550cc which by default always pay the top wack tax.....Thats gonna see off a lot of borderline classics....

Reply to
john

Having actually read the article, I think that's pretty unlikely.

Unless Fiat start producing a large engine capacity, fuel guzzling, top VED bracket smashing, >245g CO2/km belching Überpanda.

Actually, that'd be wild to see, I'd love one!

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Like my 75 which I've been trying to keep on SORN for 6 months of the year due to tax costs..... only I'm going to have to de-SORN it tomorrow, as it appears the MOT has expired on Katie's 156. Ooops.

Reply to
SteveH

I used to get 26-28 from the celica. Oh wait that was a gas guzzling 4x4 :)

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Wasn't there a V8 panda in Retro cars a couple of months ago. now if=20 that had been 4x4 :)

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Without 4x4, V8 pandas are nothing.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I, shall we say, utilise the rev range :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

I average 25 from my micra..

Reply to