Buying from FORD DIRECT - any good?

I'm thinking of getting a Focus that's a few years old. Is it worth buying it from the Ford Direct scheme?

I'm thinking that the car would be carefully checked over and any problems would have been put right. Also, if things go wrong after I have bought the car then I guess the dealer will put it right.

The thing is that I'm not brilliant on car mechanics so I couldn't do the checks myself.

But, at the same time, I don't want to pay well over the odds for something I might get through an AA inspection, some stolen car check, etc.

Any ideas or info welcome. Thank you.

Reply to
Annie

No, do some calculations first.

Not in my experience, they try to sell a warranty to cover a minimal amount of problems, car insurance, worthless "gap" insurance etc.

They will if you pay them. Once you have paid they will not want to know, so you will have a fight on your hands.

I always thought you didn't need to check a car from a main dealer - how wrong I was. Mine was sold with an MOT and VOSA said it shouldn't have been given one!

Be aware that if you do get a car check - they usually give some rubbish about £10,000 if the car is found to be stolen or a right off etc. Most companies REFUSE to honour this guarantee as they are merely acting as agents passing on information. There have been a few cases going through court and smallprint has made sure car check companies do not have to guarantee the quality of the information. They claim to guarantee the accuracy, but do not check the information is correct.

I wouldn't buy a Ford direct car as I found them overpriced, especially on the web site. Don't bother with a car check from a company and if you must buy from a main dealer, make sure any warranty offered covers the important bits on the car.

Reply to
Ian

Based on the following string of lies?

They don't try sell you a warranty, or car insurance. The warranty comes with the car.

That's just a lie. Main dealer warranties on newish cars cover as much as manufacturer original warranties IME. My friend got a clutch on his Corsa for example...

You're lying again, you just made that up.

To the OP - Don't listen to this idiot - persitant troll. He'll be along shortly to tell you how bad Hondas are... If you don't mind paying a little more for the peace of mind these kinda schemes offer they can be quite good. Look at the price, look on Autotrader at the price of similar cars and decide whether you think it's worth it :-)

Reply to
Iridium