Is Ford Direct worth using?

I very rarely buy or sell cars, so I would welcome some advice.

I'm going to buy a 2nd hand Focus and want to make sure it is not going to need repairs soon or there is some damage which needs frequent maintenance.

I had thought of getting from a private seller but I have heard a coupl eof times that private sellers tend to expect too much. So it seems better to get a 2nd hand car from a local independent dealer (or perhaps a car supermarket).

However Ford dealers have their Ford Direct scheme for some of their 2nd hand cars. The prices start a bit high for my liking but if there is real value in a car bought from this scheme then I might be able to justify it for peace of mind.

Is Ford Direct worth the extra money?

What do I actually get that I don't normally get on a second hand car?

Reply to
David

That's easy to deal with - just don't buy off them. Plenty of private sellers expect reasonable prices. They'll be advertised higher, but there's room to play, especially if you've got a good idea of what they're worth and can show it.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

You need to define much more carefully the age of car you are looking for.

Ford Direct vehicles are all under two years old. There will not be many private Focuses for sale at less than two years old. Those that are available will command prices close to a dealer. OTOH, there will be a bigger gap between dealer and private for a six year old car.

It also depends on your ability to inspect the car. If you are not knowledgeable in this respect, and don't have anyone to help you, buying a newish car privately might be too risky.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

David,

Have a look here --

Brian G

So, newer then?

Hmm. I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean price wise?

Perhaps. You do have the peace of mind aspect. But you pay for it. If you're buying a car still under manufacturers' warranty then one can argue that problems can be resolved by the manufacturer.

Have a look at the FAQ as posted up by Brian G.

Reply to
DervMan