Car covered in oil

Because the plug may have been butchered by previous Muppet.

Because they run the risk of ballsing it up and rounding the plug.

Because sump plugs and washers cost money.

In addition if they can get to the filter without lifting the car.

Because it takes time to lift the car to a height so they can drain it and lower it after.

Because a lift costs money. The per working hour cost of finance, insurance and maintenance added to the oil change would make them uncompetitive. They can put more profitable brake jobs on the lift and do the oil change on the floor.

Use of the lift requires extra training of staff for H&S at work, usually higher skill level and higher pay (the guy that does brakes). They can use a lower paid Muppet for on the floor oil change.

Use of lift runs the risk of damage to lift points (not that anyone notices).

Reply to
Peter Hill

Apparently some cars don't actually have a sump plug so you have to put a hose in through the Dip stick hole to suck the oil out.......

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen H

true, but not a micra.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What makes & models have no oil drain / sump plug?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Smart car is the only one that I have personally experienced, but from the number of vacuum pump out units that are advertised these days there nust be a fair few. From what I have seen there is no significant advantage to the suck out method over draining, the higher flow rate of the drain is more likely to take debris with it (compared to the vaccuum method) Garages I know that own a vaccum unit do not use it unless it is vital, it is too much faffing about. The vehicle is on the ramp anyway, so let the oil fall out.

Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

(Not so) Smart is the classic example.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'm sure you'll have seen the things I'm talking about Mr.C (This is back in the earlys 90s last time I dealt with one) It's a big metal "barrel" on castors, with draining tray that can go up and down. You just drain the oil conventionally while the car is on a ramp.

To empty it, we had to stick the airline on an attachment, and it would blow the oil out the unit into the waste oil pipe in the workshop.

However, if the exit hole was blocked, the pressure could build up inside and blow the oil straight back up through the draining tray vertically. It didn't happen often, but when it did, it made a hell of a mess.

Reply to
Mike P

Yes, I know the thing, I don't have one, but a friend has, he knew that they could do that and so had the bulk used oil tank in a completely separate part of the workshop, so if it did get exciting it would only smother the person doing the emptying rather than the whole workshop, once bitten etc.

I just use either a tray if I cannot be bothered to put it up in the air or a big funnel with a strainer straight into a

20 litre drum.
Reply to
Mrcheerful