car for transporting furniture?

Hello. Can anyone tell me what size car I would need in order to move packed down ikea type furniture that is roughly 7ft in length? Just wondering if anyone on here with an Estate has been able to do this or are there still some items you'd need a white van man to deliver for you?

Cheers, John

Reply to
John

Ain't those white vans a standard sheet of board 1200x2400mm

Reply to
Rob

The 7 foot length is unlikely to be a problem in most cars. The latest model Fiesta can transport objects 8 feet long internally when they are arranged diagonally with one end on the dashboard. It all depends on how wide and high the package is.

My experience with Ikea products is that they are often packaged into boxes that will fit in even fairly small cars. I think the Ikea website specifies the size of the box(es) for each product.

Reply to
RustyCrampon

Depends on the width of the package and if the front seat folds forward, flat, as it does in my Omega saloon. A few years ago the neighbour stood open mouthed as I took some 8 foot fence posts out of the boot :-)

Reply to
rp

Thanks guys. I guess there is only one way to find out. I will just take a door off one of the pax wardrobes I have and see if it will squeeze in diagonally to my hatch. If not may need to hire that estate car instead or phone a whitevan man.

Reply to
John

Roof racks?

Reply to
Rob

That's because you were about to block off his view. :)

Reply to
Gordon H

We 2x full length (and double width) Billy bookcases (so I think about

7' when packaged, quite not as tall as the 2.38m Pax wardrobes I think) into our 5 door Ford Focus hatchback, along with additional doors and a a dining table. Rear seats completely down, front passenger seat tipped as far forward as possible, headrest removed. No room for passengers, and was cosy in drivers seat. Passenger seatbelt went across the front edge of the packages which had were well away from the windscreen, but done just in case an emergency stop shifted the load out the front (which I think, with the weight/friction of it all, wouldn't have moved much actually).
Reply to
David Hearn

snip

-But bear in mind that flat pack furniture is very HEAVY!!! -easy to bottom suspension.

Reply to
Chris Holford

It seemed okay - I struggled to push the two trolleys alone though (normal trolley for things picked up from main area, flatplack trolley for flatpack stuff), and loading was a challenge once I'd done my back in with the trolley! I think it was around 160kg total weight, so about weight of 2 people, so nothing bad for suspension. I didn't want to risk it though on our roof bars on a 1 hour journey, half on 70mph roads.

David Hearn

A Volvo estate, but not any of the recent crap or a Ford Explorer (both have a 7ft load bed with the rear seats down). Not much else that will do the job. At my local Ikea I can hire a van large enough to transport the goods on a short term (few hours) rental.

Reply to
Steve Firth

My first road legal motor vehicle was an A35 van. A friend wanted a small section of steel I beam about 12ft long moved. Didn't believe I could use the van. Mounted almost vertically through the little hinged roof ventilator that was fitted it proved an easy operation. I have since moved less extreme things by poking them out of a sunroof,obviously the item must be strong enough to stand the airflow otherwise you would end up like those people who quickly lay plasterboard/plywood on a roof rack lashed with a bit of string and then drive along oblivious to the material disintegrating above their heads.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Thankd David that's good to know. My car is similar in size, though it is 3dr not 5.

Reply to
John

You're not wrong about that. I just have the Pax wardrobes that are 6ft

7" I think they are and the doors (minus packaging) are very heavy.

I think I may just hire an estate or pay a white van man to get them shifted.

Reply to
John

Thanks Steve. This is good to know. If I hire an estate I will try get one of those if possible.

Reply to
John

Sadly you'll be unable to find either to hire. Ford stopped importing the Explorer and Ford were in charge of Volvo when they mucked up their estates with intruding wheel wells and generally less load-lugging capacity than the older Volvos. Hire companies generally only do recent models, not "bangers". A sensible move would be to hire a Vito van.

Reply to
Steve Firth