Citroen Saxo Headlights + ESCAPEE bulb!

This sounds so completely and utterly stupid...

I went to change my headlights from halogen to Xenon filled ones cos i realised that after having a saxo for a few months and the darker months already being here that the lights and crap. I basically resorted to putting front fogs on, and i'm not really that keen on doing that. Sooo I changed the main beam lamps with no problem, although the side lights were a bit of a nightmare. I put a bulb in, then i decided that it didn't fit right went to take it out to only have the bulb escape into the light unit. With the glass lens being clear you can see this lovely blue bulb (great) :| Any ideas on how to get it out. I tried mucking about to get it out using magnets to no avail. The other idea i had was to take the glass front off, but i have no idea if its A) possible or B) how to do it. Please help..

TIA, Saxo owner with a stupid looking set of headlights!

Reply to
Aly

The message from "Aly" contains these words:

BluTak, chewing gum, or possibly a blob of still-hot hotmelt glue, on a stick.

Reply to
Guy King

Consider it life's way of punishing you for fitting coloured sidelight bulbs.

Reply to
SteveH

The lights are white.... but it has a blue tint, trust me the final output is white... i have no idea why so its not punishment.. sods law more likely...

Reply to
Aly

Ahhh, right, in which case it's punishment for falling for obviously bullshit marketing speak.

(How the *f*ck* can a bulb that's tinted blue be 'brighter' than one with no tint?)

Reply to
SteveH

Dunno don't care, i just want the bloody thing out! I sat for a whole hour trying to get it out with tie wraps and with a magnet stuck on. I'd take the whole headlight unit out if i knew that i could remove the glass easily and put it back on easily, although it gives that idea beacuse there is clips over the glass. Surely it is possible as if you were to say have a stone go through the glass you could replace it without replacing the whole unit? If i end up resorting to finding a relatively steep hill i'll cry. (not really but be very pissed off)

Reply to
Aly

remove the headlight and let it fall out of the main bulb hole.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Remove the headlamp, tip it backwards - bulb falls out of the big hole it went into - replace headlamp, put bulb back in (in its holder!) - job done!

Reply to
R. Murphy

The bulb is brigher than normal but as a result gives a coloured light. The blue tint corrects this so that it gives a white light.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

Drive the car backwards down a hill very fast. Then, slam on the brakes.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

What colour will a brighter filament light be compared to a normal bulb? I bet it's naturally bluer due to running hotter, in which case the blue tint is simply cosmetic.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

What did you get, as a matter of interest? My saxo bulbs might be upgraded. Have you got a spec.?

Yo get your bulb out, tape a length of hosepipe to your vacuum cleaner nozzle, and use that to pick it up.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Or get a bit of fuel pipe, poke it in the hole to the bulb, suck on it and pull it out. (If you'll pardon the expression :-)) )

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The message from snipped-for-privacy@email.com (sPoNiX) contains these words:

That sounds like a complete load of bollocks to me.

If it's brighter than usual it's hotter, which usually means bluer. A filter which appears blue in transmission removes reds - not blues. It'll make the light even more blue than it was before.

The only possible reason[1] would be if the light were to red, but then a blue filter would remove loads of red light leaving very little light at all.

[1] Apart from fashion, that is.
Reply to
Guy King

Yes i think i'll resort to the hoover one.. i've seen how you take the headlights out a saxo, you need to remove the bumper which isn't the easiest of tasks. I might wait until everyone goes to work before it looks like i'm hoovering my engine... if i wasn't already embarassed enough that the bloody bulb fell in *rolls eyes*

Reply to
Aly

We have a winner!

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Tried that.. it doesn't work! The lights are angled so the bulb doesn't roll back to where the bulb should be. Also to take the light unit out you have to remove the bumper.. and i don't have no garage!

Reply to
Aly

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Haven't you seen the adverts for clothes-washing liquid? That bright bluey- whiteness...

Reply to
Adrian

Sorted!! The answer was a trusty coat hanger!! and some sellotape. Tthe bulb still works and is lodged in properly now!

Praise the coat hanger!

Thanks for your ideas folks!

Reply to
Aly