Clio-Bent Valves

Hi

Have a 1999 clio 1.2, just been diagnosed with 2 bent valves. Its done 26k and runs perfectly other than the slight rattle, which renault now say is going to cost £700+ to sort all this out Reason for this they say is low milage ?, anything to do with belts/chain etc

Does this sound right, what could have been the cause, is there any comeback on this, it has full service history etc.

Any help gratefully recd andy

Reply to
AMWalmsley

Andy Sounds bollox to me - It's quite common for some Renault engines to sound clatterty. We've had a couple of megans that were very noisy but the dealers said that it is normal - so it's normal for new engines to sound like a bag of nails "yes of course sir, they are designed to do this". I suspect that there is a manufacturing fault that has finally resulted in your problem but Renault is not going to admit this of course.

Steve

Reply to
Schmoot

If you have bent valves then the engine is going to down a cylinder or two. The only way to determine bent valves without removing the head is a leak down test. On what grounds does the garage think you have 2 bent valves???

Time for a 2nd opinion!!!

The only way you could have bent valves is either the timing belt slipping afew teeth, or breaking in the past and being replaced without the valves fixed and the car sold on, or through grossly over-revving the engine on a down change and bouncing the valves into the pistons.- fairly unlikely.

What slight rattle do you have? Rattles at certain engine speeds are usually a loose catalyst heat sheild or the like.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

BEnt valves caused by low mileage? Talking bollocks I'm afraid unless it's jumped or broken it's cambelt.

Two leaking valves is much more like it, although I still think it's a pile of rubbish. Have you access to a compression tester and the knowledge to use one? I'd be looking at that first of all to see if there is a leak. If there were two bent valves I doubt the poor thing would even start!

Reply to
Chris Street

The message from Chris Street contains these words:

And if it were sticky valves, a good thrashing might well cure it.

Reply to
Guy King

Ah good point. When was tha oil last changed......?

Reply to
Chris Street

renault=crap

Reply to
George Spigot

Thanks for all the advice, it is likely i will have the job done as thay say.The car is in pieces, allegedly, but i will be requesting full details of tests/results and seeking full details as to why this is occuring at such a low mileage. and then compensation-say a prayer for me !! andy

Reply to
AMWalmsley

You're going to get it done?

It's worth a second opinion. £700 is a lot of money!

Reply to
DervMan

words:

I don't recall that working fo John Cleese. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

Never seen a sticky valve on an A-series.

Reply to
Guy King

I'd want at least someone else to look at it. Have they actually got the head off yet or is it just sat in the garage? I'd first want proof it's "bent valves" as they are perforce talking crap if that's their line and the cambelt wasn't bust. (yes it's possible to rev the vavles into the pistons but I'm assuming you would know if you'd screamed the nuts off the engine on a downchange!)

Reply to
Chris Street

Sorry. In that case please excuse my ignorance. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G