Problems with Nissan Primera P11-144

Remember that car I bought last year? Folks here said I'd be making a terrible mistake, Im only looking at "the shine" and will need to have a lot of work done to it as it was approaching the age where things like bushes would start going.

Well.

I don't know how to say this.

But.

Guess what/

Nothings wrong with it.

So much for "Banger Economy".

I've got a great car, that's very reliable, drives well and hasn't needed any work doing to it.

Of course it was shiny, but that was a bonus on top of the fact that it drives well and doesn't look repaired. It suits my budget and I like Nissans.

Oh and to all those who tried to stick their noses into my finances and tried to flame me for buying a car on credit card, ask me one thing...

Would I do it again?

Absolutely.

Damn right I would. The APR on the card may be a little higher, but it gives you the flexibility to pay off more or less what you want, when you want. A loan has the interest charged up front. A credit card has the interest calculated on the balance.

It's amazing how many of you idiots don't actually get that.

I effectively have a flexibile loan where my minimum repayment is very affordable should an emergency crop up.

Am I glad I didn't listen to you bunch of arrogant self absorbed egotistical piss ants.

Reply to
Simon Dean

As I recall, the point was that you paid a lot more than 'banger money' for a 'banger'.

Reply to
SteveH

Yea I thought that too? Wasn't the general consensus the car looked fine but was like 50% over priced? Also, you have to wonder if it's just had a major problem, which has reminded him of what he was told, so he thought he better just make something up heh.

Reply to
DanB

Yes, that was it, you do recall correctly. You guys tried to make out it was a lemon and would be falling apart very shortly with problems with bushes, engine, gearbox, clutch because it would be so poorly maintained, and oh, all the heartache I would have and how stupid I was. Well, Im still sorry to disappoint. It's an absolute cracking car with no problems whatsoever.

So much for a banger. Congratulations for proving yourself wrong. But I guess you still have your heads up your asses so much to recognise that on this occasion, you were wrong.

As for the price, I guess all the expert price guides are completely wrong then? Yes, I remember that. They were.

As for making something up to cover a major problem, you guys are pure gold. What a joke! You smeggers are still inventing things to bitch about.

Of course, you guys won't forget the other two things - the idea that I was focusing on the shine which is a lie, not to mention the unwarranted, absurd and irrational nonsense about how Im being a fool by putting the car on credit card.

Well, sorry not to entertain. But this "banger" is still as sweet as a nut and hasn't required any remedial work.

Still, carry on talking shit if it makes you feel clever.

Reply to
Simon Dean

Yes, and?

They were *potential* problems with the kind of vehicle you were buying.

Have you put it through an MOT yet? - that's when you really find out what does and doesn't need doing. Especially with stuff like bushes and emissions related stuff.

We managed 2 years before the 156 needed anything for an MOT - it needed a lambda and catalyst in year 2 and this year has needed some suspension bushes (despite being replaced pre-sale).

The advice was sound. Unless receipts show these things have been done, the car needs to be cheap.

The price advice given was spot on. Most people here can value a car without looking it up.

That was and still is a stupid idea. I've used a credit card to buy cars and bikes in the past. But only if I can pay it off in the interest free period.

It was overpriced for what it was, so I'd bloody well hope that nothing expensive has gone wrong.

Even if nothing does go wrong, you still paid *way* over the odds for it.

Reply to
SteveH

What do you mean yes I recall correctly? Those things you just listed are NOTHING like I said I recalled. And I didn't try and tell you anything, I didn't post in the thread, just read it. Why would I possibly want to offer you any advice?

Once again, I said, I recall everyone said it looked OK but was far too expensive, and because it was old and leggy it might have problems soon. Might been the key word. Surely you know cars can go wrong sometimes?

So really, they were right, it was ok and it was expensive. Your thanks are welcomed.

Reply to
DanB

You have been lucky up until now.

And probably sometime soon the luck fairy will be taking a withdrawl from you because you crowed about how "everybody here" was wrong and you are so right. It's called karma or Murphy's law.

Me; I also bought a banger last June (N reg 1.2 Clio). So far it has cost me an MOT, oil+ filter change, wiper blades, a few bulbs (can't stand not being able to see all the dash at night), fuel and insurance costs. It has done just under 15K since I bought it and it hasn't missed a beat, & it doesn't smoke either despite its 113k mileage. Yes it rattles a bit at tickover and sounds noisy on the motorway but that is part of its charm :-)

P.S. Good effort at trolling but you must try a bit harder to get the spittle really flying :-)

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Can't take it that I bought a decent car that I liked, and wanted that hasn't done me wrong yet and come out with crap like that.

Mmm hmm. Yes, that is what I was looking for, a car that rattles at tickover and sounds noisy on the motorway. Wow. What a bargain you had!

You're seriously trying to say I've paid over the odds for a car that doesn't rattle?

Haha.

Reply to
Simon Dean

I didn't say that you said anything specificially. However you yourself was right in saying that it was suggested the car was overpriced, and SteveH is right in suggested people suggested it was banger for XYZ.

I did start off the next bit with "You guys". I havent "singled" you out in any way.

Might. Yeah right. Everyone (see Im not singling you out or necessarily accusing you of saying such things) was so insistent that something would go wrong because they could tell how it was driven previously

Wait a second, who made you the PA of u.r.c.m? I thought you said you never made any comments? Who are you to welcome thanks?

And it what conceivable way were they right? They reckoned I could have had a decent primera banger for £500. I had a decent primera banger that was about £500 but had brake pipes and wheel arches corroding. I know how they can fail.

There was no might about it. I'd have to spend cash on getting it repaired because it's either been clocked, or run by a skin flint who never serviced it blah blah blah.

I could either keep this car for 6 years and let it earn it's keep or buy a new banger and run it in to the ground every year for £500.

How were they right? None of these things happened, and they were sorely confused over credit card financing! Charlatans.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Bull crap. You forget again that loans charge the interest up front. Credit Cards are highly flexible.

That's all the proof I need you're talking out the proverbial.

Reply to
Simon Dean

Non-Primera owners can't understand that it doesn't deteriorate with mileage like other cars.

Reply to
Steve B

Steve B ("Steve B" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Reply to
Adrian

Not as flexible as cash. Which is all I tend to use. Or debit card, obviously.

See above.

If you need to pay for a car on a credit card, you can't afford it.

Reply to
SteveH

Bwahahahaha.

I've had one.

It was a good banger, but it was starting to deteriorate.

Reply to
SteveH

No need to rely on memory, you can read it all again here:

Reply to
David Hearn

Well done.

I'd expect that from pretty much any 2001 car that cost £3k.

It's not exactly unusual, why are you here?

Reply to
Pete M

Mostly because of the people here who don't expect it and expected it to fail very rapidly. And their expert opinion told them who had the car before me so could tell how it was driven. LOL!

They talked out their asses then, they talk out their asses now!

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Come on you can think of a better response than that! I think you're getting rattled with all the different threads of conversation on here and getting confused with which person you are talking to.

Yes it is a bargain and I never suggested that you were looking for a banger but it suits me fine. just so you know all of that generation of Clios rattle at tickover (non hydraulic tappets) and sound noisy on the motorway (lack of sound insulation). It's the design NOT age you dimwit. At the time I bought it I was looking for a cheap hack; sub £1k, good fuel economy and cheap tax. So far it has hit all the marks: cost £550, 48mpg and £115 tax for the year. Compare that to your car and see how long you would have to keep your car to reach the same cost per mile.

Go back to school and learn to read, where did I say 'I think you paid over the odds'? I don't really care what you think, the main thing I was trying to say was 'watch out' you're gonna get burnt soon because of the crowing like a tell tale tit. So grow up and learn to take criticism calmly and accept other peoples comments without prejudice; usenet can be a hostile place - especially if you enter it with the attitude YOU are showing right now.

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I'm winning so far, I've so had the best reply I think. I expect better of you to be fair Steve.

Reply to
DanB

It's clear you're only interested in argument. "You've been lucky up until now"? What kind of comment is that if not a doubt that the car is any good?

Did I say it didn't suit you, or that indeed other people were wrong for buying bangers? What Im arguing against is that people are saying that my decision is incorrect and that they are wrong for saying I am wrong.

Im sure you do like your car, that's why you bought it.

However, you did go on to say that I am a troll and just going through a spell of bad luck and I will get some karma for disagreeing with ignorant remote analysis. All that followed by a cheerful story of how much more charming your motor is...

Hrm. I wonder why you choose to throw in that tidbit of information about it rattling unless you're looking for an argument?

Amazing. You think Im the dimwit because Im unfamiliar with a Renault Clio! How should I know what it's like?

You need to phrase your sentences better. Suggesting it has 113k on the clock, doesn't smoke but does rattle - indicates it is something abnormal.

It's expecting me to know about your Renault Clio that makes you sound like a dimwit and it's your loaded statements that make you look exactly like an arrogant SOB.

Why do I want to compare the cost per mile? That isn't a factor why I bought the car. More arrogance again shown by your assumptions.

For someone trying to teach me to read, please note I said "trying to say".

But lets not forget your talk of karma, trolling and your bringing up of your cheap, cheerful and charming banger. If you don't mind what car I drive, then it's an odd thing to go waffling on like you are.

Could have fooled me... That's two replies now?

Are you suggesting that words can somehow influence inanimate objects?

Ha. You might. Actually you don't seem to. Hence your trying to defend your car and calling me a dimwit into the bargain. not very calm yourself, eh?

I refuse to take advice from a bunch of pig headed ignorant misinformed tossers sitting behind a computer screen telling me I shouldn't be buying a car on credit card or shouldn't have bought the car because THEY think it's been driven by an old giffer and never been maintained or has been clocked and therefore Im wrong to buy it and will spend more on it than a banger.

Funny. Im actually responding to prejudice. I couldn't care less what people buy. You don't see me criticising anybodies choices do you? Whatever works for them. Whatever they feel comfortable with.

It's shocking that not one of these imbeciles gets the premise of loans vs credit cards, where if handled properly, credit cards are a much better thing than loans because it gives so much financial flexibility.

Let's look at the other issue of banger economy.

How do you buy a banger? Two real options. You buy a second hand car through a friend or friend of a friend, it is a person you trust and you therefore have a reasonable expectation that it is a reliable motor.

I refuse to even entertain that as a notion of "banger economy" because it relies on knowing someone with a reliable banger.

The other option, is flicking through auto trader etc and trudging the country looking for "bargains".

I've been there. I do have some knowledge of it. It's pretty hard to find that one diamoned in the rough. I once found what appeared to be a perfect P11 but on test drive, the car pulled to the left, engine had no power (clogged exhaust), knocking noises were heard from all over the place and I left pretty sharpish. Too much of my time and money was spent looking at crap.

And the bangers I have bought even with advice have all gone wrong within the first couple of years (much like Mr Steve's 156 needing bushes and a cat).

I'd give you xamples, but I think it would fall on deaf ears.

Bangers seem like a nice option. First you got to find them, and then they go wrong and you need serious work doing to them.

I've had a Nissan Primera P10 and know exactly what can go wrong with Nissans. So I know what Im looking at. Engine wasn't gunked up, there wasn't any rust, even on the radiators, no knocking and the engine had good power.

For the record, yes, I do understand the ideology that the car can present with problems - but then, so do all cars, even this groups much beloved bangers.

But despite this groups condemnation that my current car is just another overpriced banger, the expectation of failure due to thesis that the car hasn't been maintained, or been clocked or a number of different possibilities hasn't materialised.

Sure my car could go wrong. But Im sure bangers break down a lot more regularly than my Nissan. I'd rather keep my car for six years and do any maintenance as necessary knowing its history and reliability than run the risk of getting some unknown banger every couple of years that rattles down the motorway with a clogged cat.

Obviously for Steve, replacing the cat isn't a major issue for him. Maybe he can just buy a cheap cat, or maybe his car is a little more than a "banger".

Oh right. Ok. You mean, you're a hostile angry arrogant little twit and Im the one with the attitude because I object to people sticking their noses in about my finances when not asked?

Reply to
Simon Dean