Clios and cam-belts

1.4 engine, E-type, I believe. - M-reg.

Belt's snapped.

Is this engine likely to be damaged, and if so, what's likely to have died? It wouldn't have been going fast at the time - an auto going downhill at less than 40mph.

Reply to
Guy King

This engine is a valve muncher I'm afraid. The extent - who knows.

You didn't try and start it again did you?

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

Postulation : If he didn't try to restart it, the damage may not be terminal.

Because it's an auto, as soon as the engine stopped, it'll have cut the power to the auto box, so there's no connection between the wheels and the engine.

It may have only tried to go round as much as there was remaining rotational energy in the torque converter & crank shaft.

OTOH, it could be one of those automatic manuals, with a manual box under computer control!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I'd have said that what ever he did after it went wouldn't have mattered. One turn of the crank with the belt broken and somthings gonna be bent.

Reply to
George Spigot

The message from "G-Man" contains these words:

The wife did.

Reply to
Guy King

Then, in your inner heart, you know the answer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

4 bent valves, not that difficult a job though.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

The message from "Duncan Wood" contains these words:

I presume the valves are all the same - there's not grades and sizes and things. Apart from inlet and exhaust, obviously.

Reply to
Guy King