Oil leak and cam belt contamination - Golf

Hi all,

My '94 Golf 1.8 petrol (Mk 3) has been leaking oil over the last couple of weeks, and I got a chap to have a look at it today. He thinks the problem is behind the the cam belts covers, on the left of the engine as you look at it.

His garage contact told him there is an oil thingy (valve?) behind it which tends to leak, and he'll fix it. But the oil has got on to the belts and they recommend that I get this done at the same time, and in fairness they are probably due a change anyway, having done over 60k.

I think I can get the job done for 150 quid.

Does all this sound valid and sensible (apart from my inadequate knowledge of engine parts) ?

I think I picked up on this group that if you are getting the belts done, get the water pump done at the same time, is that right?

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,

Angus.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

If oil has leaked over any rubber belts, get them changed before they degrade and snap. I would advise changing the waterpump, tensioners/rollers and you can usually buy a complete kit of parts. Drain and flush the cooling system while you're at it. If you can get a cambelt with associated parts, water pump and have it all changed together with the leak fixed for £150 then that seems OK. Don't let a friend do it, take it to a proper garage or you might end up with some expensive repairs and knackered engine. It's probably an oil seal that is leaking, they cost a few pence, but to et at it you need to take a lot of bits off! I once took a car to the main dealer for a rear oil seal to be changed. They had to take the gearbox out and didn't do it correctly so I had to have a clutch fitted as it contaminated it.

Reply to
john

In one part you say "take it to a proper garage" then go on to tell about what happened when you did just that....

How odd

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

No, he told us what happened when he took it to a main dealer...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yeah, fair point!!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

On 07-Jan-08 23:41:37, john said

Booger!

It seems that the over-the-phone diagnosis was inaccurate. I took it to the garage today, and the gent had a look and decided it was not the engine he thought it was. He had thought there was an oil pressure sensor, behind the cam belt (or near it) but they are actually just above the oil filter and I noticed one was oily when this all started, so I changed it.

Spme weeks before the leaking started I changed the oil and the oil filter. I seem to remember this same sequence (change followed by leak) occuring a couple of years back. I'm pretty sure I didn't over fill it... I suppose new oil might generate more pressure than old oil?

Could they have given me a dodgy filter.....

Anyway, I'm taking the car back on Friday and he's going to remove some bits and bobs to see if he can find the problem. 30 quid. For now. :(

Thanks for your advice.